Sunday, May 11, 2014

An Open Letter to Wifey On El Dia De Las Madres

Dearest Wifey: I'm sad you've been going through tough times lately, because your bad back has reared its ugly head. But on this national holiday, which came into existence due to lobbying by the card, flower, jewelry, and chocolate industries, I want to publicly acknowledge you for who you are -- a mother supreme. It's all too rare that we get to see the product of our life's work come out well. We share a good friend, who I consider to be one of the top defense lawyers in the land. I'll call him Norman, since that's his name. If you ask him, he'll tell you he's had a mediocre career. Ha. As if. But in your case, you've given your all to our Ds, and the results are astounding. They're accomplished, of course, and lovely, and charming. But mostly, they are MENTSCHES -- and that is the most important thing there is. They're empathetic, and appreciative. Unlike many lucky kids, they weren't "born on third base and think they hit a triple." They know how fortunate they are -- and the first and most important aspect of that is who their mother is. You taught our Ds kindness -- it's more important to be kind than right -- and this was no mean feat for you -- coming from a mother who ALWAYS INSISTS she is right. You taught our Ds how to be amazing daughters to older parents -- in the way you care for your parents, and cared for your mother in law. Just last night, D2 and I were putting away some papers, and I showed her a thank you note you wrote to my mother in 1987, We had just gotten married, and you thanked her for her gift of a down payment for our first house -- telling her she would be the most honored guest forever. And you treated her that way. You know the meaning of love, Wifey. That it isn't words, and sitting around saying nice things. You know that love means changing diapers, sometimes. I'll never forget being out for dinner once, I think it was my Mom's 90th, and she needed to use the restroom. Mom's own kids sat there (I was one of them), and you got up and took Sunny to that most unpleasant task -- laughing about it. In the car on the way home, I brought it up, and you said, simply, "She's my beloved mother in law -- of course I would help her." I think D1 was there with us (D2 must have been at UF). We loved you so at that moment. You changed a LOT of our Ds diapers -- all out of love. How un -romantic --saying love is dealing with the crap, sometimes. You did that so well, and offered such encouragement and adoration. So Happy Mother's Day, Wifey. Here's to many, many returns...

No comments: