Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Law School Graduation

So last week, after a lovely dinner with the Ds and Wifey, D2 and Wifey and I decamped to the U for a late evening stroll around the beautiful campus. And there D2 shocked me with some awful news: despite my years of discouraging her, and steering her on the correct path, she was still at least CONSIDERING going to law school. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! IIt seems absurd that I would be so against my child going into the career that has been so good to me, but I truly think there are far too many lawyers, and it's generally a nasty field to pick. And, at the risk of being sexist, my partner Paul and I have long noted that most of the women we meet who practice law full time just seem particularly miserable, and age well before their time. I don't know -- back 31 years ago, people tried to dissuade me from going to law school -- there were too many lawyers then, not enough jobs, think about the fact that most pre law students we knew were the biggest a holes around, etc... But in 1983, Florida had 6 law schools churning out baby lawyers. Now there are over 20 -- even places I didn't even hear about when then opened -- Florida Coastal Law, in Jville? Ave Maria -- founded by the nut case Domino's Pizza guy -- an ultra conservative Catholic? Laughable places, yes -- but they still graduate kids who compete with everyone else... I see plenty of law school graduations on FaceBook, and I feel a sense of sadness for the graduates. Some have huge debt that they'll never be able to repay reasonably. Seems to me a MBA is better these days -- but what do I know? In related news, almost none of my doctor friends have kids pursuing medicine. My friends see that you kill yourself to get there, and the career just isn't what it used to be. It seems allied health professions, like becoming a PA, or Dietitian like D1 make far more sense. Or, as D2 said -- becoming an audiologist is the new "IT" career... What????? So if D2 goes against my wishes, i won't disown her. I just truly hope she goes another direction. And to those putting on purple robes today -- well, good luck. As my mentor Ed said when he told me I passed the Bar: you now have your license to steal. The problem is these days --there are just too damn many fellow crooks competing for the same loot.

No comments: