Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Dynamics of a House

I say this ad nauseum, but I really love my house. When I first saw it from the street, from over the thick hedge, it made me think of Hemingway's Key West house -- yellow set against green tropical foliage. It's not really like that -- my house is a classic Mediterranean style -- but the feel I got was love at first sight. As I toured the place, I knew this was where I wanted to live and raise the Ds, and fortunately, after initial reluctance, Wifey agreed. And so we bought the place 13 years ago next month. The Ds were 12 and 8, and, indeed, we were exceptionally blessed with wonderful memories of their growing up here. There was always a dog infestation of some kind or another, and the neighborhood was completely safe for them to walk or ride bikes -- meeting other neighborhood dogs (and spotting the occasional fox or peacock). I still love the place, and can't bring myself to seriously consider taking a nice profit and moving closer to the city -- something that may eventually happen. The house has been mostly quiet the past 3 years -- with the Ds living eleswhere, and no more than one usual and one visiting dog. Last month Wifey went to Atlanta for 8 days and the place was VERY quiet -- just me and the strange looking rescue dog. And then, yesterday came a wonderful surprise: D2 came home early from Gville! She and D1 planned the early homecoming --D1 took the train here rather than her Brickell apartment. The 4 of us went for sushi, and then came hone. And I realized how much more spectacular our house is with the Ds here --the Ds playfully teasing each other, in the manner of loving sisters, and Wifey the good natured object of their humor. We sat in the family room -- dogs snuggling on the couch, and watched "Jeopardy" and then some Larry David and Sarah Silverman comedy shows. And we talked, and shared the amazing love we have for each other -- a truly sacred thing. So cliches are cliches because they're true: an empty house, no matter how lovely, is just a pretty shell. When it's filled with those you love, it's a home. And I savor mine.

No comments: