Monday, November 4, 2013

D1 and the Real Life

I started today by seeing Dr. Dave, my friend and doctor, for my annual physical. He went over blood results from last week's draw, and, to my relief, said that for a fat pig, I was remarkably healthy. He didn't use those words, but in essence that was his message -- lose 50 lbs and do more exercise. I'm inspired. He asked me to get off the floor without using my hands to pull or push. I can do it -- 5 points, he said, towards not being feeble in old age. Ha. As if. I've already told my Rabbi friend, if he prays for me, to NOT include the word "long" when he says the prayers. "Great" and "full" and "quality," yes --"long" is, to my experience, very over rated. Then I had a happy errand: going to the bank with D1 to open her first business account. Through the courtesy of family friend Geoff, she now has a Florida LLC, and plans to do consulting work, in addition to her day job of clinical dietician at UM/Jackson. She had her first gig this weekend -- a doc in Broward, referred by a local friend. And, she got an initial loan to start the LLC from an angel investor named "Dad." We went together to Citibank, which has a great small business program, and learned that she has to amend her Florida docs, since they don't list her as an officer -- just an owner of the LLC. It was a handy welcome to the absurdity of government bureacracy. She'll send in the amendments and meet the banker later in the week... In the Miami is a small town/big city department: the first banker we met, who share's D1's name, told her she has a good friend who is a pediatric GI -- a fellow Brazilian. D1 knows her well -- the doc offered D1 a job. We smiled at the connection. Then we went to celebrate with Paul -- taking a few moments from his packed work schedule by having lunch -- and then we walked her to her building. As she walked away -- MS in Dietetics, a few weeks from turning 25, I reflected that it was just weeks ago that I dropped her off at Leewood Elementary -- a meticulously dressed, hair perfect, sweet and earnest grade schooler... So I WILL eat less and exercise. I want to see what's next for D1 and D2. The real life can be exquisite.

No comments: