Thursday, March 14, 2013

Professional Help

I received a wonderful ecard the other day, from my nephew in California. He started his own business, and it's soaring. He wrote to thank me for paying for his college tuition, which, he said, gave him the foundation for his first jobs, which led to his ability to start his own company. I'm so proud of him -- mostly because he's become a man. I borrow the great Sidney Poitier's definition: the measure of a man is how well he takes care of his family. Henry gets it. Right now his family is just him, his beautiful wife, and large canine child. I have a feeling his family will grow, and he'll be there for them, first and foremost. I realized that all of my men friends are like me -- they take care of their families. Some do it better than others, but, for all of them, it defines who they are. I also realized that fellows who were in my life who failed their families are no longer my friends... Among the duties in my definition of manhood is taking care of your family even after you're dead. To that end, Wifey and I met with the affable estate lawyer Dan, to update our papers. We drew up wills and trusts when the Ds were both children, and now that they're both adults, and the tax laws have changed, I figured it was time for an update. So Dan met with us, drew up the documents, and then had us in yesterday to sign them. I think Wifey was freaked out; during the whole process, she texted away on her I phone like a bored teenager --barely looking up as the documents were passed around. She said later she was taking notes, but I think she just hates thinking about our inevitable fates -- especially now, as she watches her father draw closer to his. Still, we got them done, so next time I get on the airplane and engage in the illogical thoughts that I'm dying that way (even though my chances of my Ds cashing in on my life insurance are far greater each time I drive on South Dixie Highway), I can rest assured. I had Dan draw up wills and directives for the Ds, too. They each have money, and are all grown up. When D2 saw the draft of her papers, she took a picture of it and sent it to her friends, laughing. And laugh she should -- at 21, thoughts like these ought to be way outside her head. Especially since she has a man in her life, me, to worry and take care of things...

No comments: