Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ms. Know It All

So last Saturday as I was leaving a Gables restaurant with my family, a woman said my name. I looked and looked at her, but had zero face recognition. Finally, she said it was Marcy -- my first boss's secretary. We hugged and said hello. I last worked for that firm in '87, and she remembered Wifey. But she never met the Ds, and was shocked to see 2 adult ladies... We used to call Marcy Ms Know it All, as she had the bearing of one who was always correct. She's only about 5 years older than I am, but when I started as a young lawyer, at 25, she seemed much older. She dressed older, and had a little white dog. She also had and still has a terrific Boston accent. Our mutual boss was one of the worst anti semites I've ever known. He joked that her hired me because my name was German. "Ha -- I don't think I'd have hired you if I knew you were one of the Chosen" he used to guffaw. Marcy is Jewish, too, and endured the guy for many years. His practice was bought out by a large New York firm, and they kept him as a lawyer for years. Marcy just retired after over 20 years with the firm -- her husband is a plumber, and now she manages his business. Seeing her brought back so many memories of those days. The anti semite was always traveling, and left the control of the firm in the hands of a 3 year lawyer who was also one of his lovers. That lawyer, who I'll call Vanessa, since that's her name, almost ran the firm into the ground. She was given too much responsibility, and faked some of it. When she learned Dan had a NEW lover, who he ended up marrying, Vanessa, in a rage, frisbeed her diploma at Dan's head. He ducked, and somehow the framed object sliced through the 2 panes of glass and hurtled to the ground below -- 35 stories. It was late at night, and no one got hurt below, but I think that was Vanessa's last act as an attorney. As far as I (or MArcy) know, she quit the profession and disappeared. I used to come home and tell Wifey I worked for the Addams Family, Indeed, it was a very strange place. I lasted only a year, and then took my first week long vacation, with Wifey. The Sunday night I returned home, my co worker Lou told me the firm was going under, and I ought to look for a new job. I called in sick Monday and met my mentor Ed, Mike's Dad. Ed made a few calls and placed me with a firm in the Grove. Lou left shortly thereafter, and Dan landed as a local partner for the out of state firm. So Ms. Know it All looked fine -- actually better than she did back in '86. And Dan, last I heard, had a stroke and retired. Time wounds all heels...

No comments: