Friday, January 25, 2013

Rest in Peace, Aunt Ann

My father was one of three siblings. Ann was born first, and turned 99 !! last month. My Dad died at 63 --he'd have been 94 in May. The youngest, Harry, died in his early 40s, when I was a young boy. Ann died last night, 11 months before she would have "made the Smuckers jar," as my sister Trudy pointed out. A TV weatherman puts pictures of the 100 year olds on the Smuckers jam jars, on his morning show... Ann lived with my cousin Steve, who is 60. The two were unusually close. Steve never moved away, and I think they had meals together just about every night of Steve's life. Steve's an accountant, and very shy, and one of those old school bachelors you rarely meet these days. I spoke to him while Ann was hospitalized. She signed a DNR order, and Steve opposed it. He couldn't bear to lose her. But Ann was sharp mentally until the end, and she went out on her own terms. She and Steve lived in the same Jackson Heights, Queens apartment forever. My grandmother used to live the floor below, and my early memories of visits were how scared I was in the elevator. I was a purely suburban kid, and elevators seemed claustrophobic and spooky. Grandma read the Yiddish papers, and lived a rather quiet life. When we moved to Florida, I saw my father looking sad. I asked him why, and he answered that while he wasn't close with his mother, he might never see her alive again. He was right, ironically. He died before she did. Grandma made it to 97, happily senile. I saw her last in 1984, on a trip with my then girlfriend, now Wifey. She died the next year. Ann was a self taught intellectual. She tutored Russian immigrants in English. Several years ago, D1 and I were in NY with Esther, D1's very British friend. We took a trip to see Ann, and Esther remarked how much she reminded Esther of a "very proper British lady." Ann had that air about her. So now my father's generation of family is all gone. I'm the last male with the family name, and I have no sons, so after I jump off the mortal coil there will be no more. Steve has plenty of money, and must now set about living the rest of his life. I told him that my mother made some of the closest friends she had when she was his age -- and moved to Florida. Her friends gave her so much joy -- traveling together, socializing, comparing notes on grandkids and politics. Steve is a HAM radio operator, and has acquaintances in his club. I hope he develops them into true friends. I hope he travels. I hope he savors his life. I went on a mile walk at dawn today, and reflected on Ann. She hated spending money, and traveled rarely. When we last spoke, she told me she had made a mistake -- she wished she had moved to Florida, where she preferred the climate. I asked why she didn't still make the move, even now. "Oh no -- it would cost far too much now." So she lived as she chose -- a very long, long life. 99. Amazing.

No comments: