Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's Like the Fun Never Ends

Winter holidays have always been an extended affair for Wifey and me -- especially since we chose to get married right after New Year's Day. Although, as my friend Jeff reminded me -- the wedding was nearly canceled. The day before, January 2, 1987, our awesome Canes team played Penn State for the National Championship, and my groomsmen and I watched. The Canes were heavily favored, but blew the game when Vinny Testaverde tossed the last pass into the arms of a Penn State defensive back. We were crestfallen. Jeff leaned over snd said "You're not getting married now, are you?" I seriously considered his suggestion, but we went ahead anyway, and all worked out. The Canes went on to win 4 more titles, and they soared alongside Wifey and I... This year we waited to celebrate our anniversary until D1 returned from the Midwest. Her flight arrived late on the 3rd, and we headed home. We went to our go-to celebration restaurant for lunch yesterday -- Christy's, and enjoyed salmon and filet medallions -- at a prix fixe of $18 per person! D2 was supposed to head back to UF today, but her friends Rebecca and Leah's father died. The funeral is tomorrow, so she's going to attend, and then hit the road in caravan with her roomie Catherine. Next weekend, our English friends the Sheppards are coming to the 305, and we're hosting them. I decided to use their visit as an excuse for our first Villa Wifey get together in awhile -- so we're planning a coctail party for some friends. Wifey was reluctant, at first, but I prevailed on her to let me reclaim my mojo in 2013 -- and part of that is by becoming a tavernkeeper -- like my late mentor Ed. Ed used to love having folks to his great house, and I always admired that. I followed in his path, but somehow grew lazy and disillusioned with people. I seek to end that this year, along with my theme of "no more broken stuff -- rebuilding." I started working out, and am up to 40 abdominal crunches. I used to do 100 sit ups in high school, and apparently the muscles I build over 30 years ago are there, under my nice sized belly. I aim to bring 'em out, as the rappers rap... AndI signed up for a class at FIU -- staring this Wednesday. It's one night a week -- 3 hours, and it's a study of the Jews of India and Africa. I'm auditing it, so no papers, but it'll allow me to reclaim my academic dilettante status... Wifey is staying away, on account of her back, but maybe she'll join me for some classes later on. So, in '13 -- so far, so good. I plan to work more -- I have some appointments already to meet with some referral sources for cases -- and get healthier and maybe smarter. Back...though not in black...

No comments: