Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Innkeeper

Our friends Sandra and Dave left last night, and I completed my job as innkeeper, for now. I carried their bags to the aging Volvo, and drove them to MIA. I returned home, and stripped the sheets, washed them with the towels, and prepared the room for its next use -- watching NFL football. Sunday night we had a terrific party. Nearly 30 were there, and D1 made her cognac based "songbird" drinks, while I poured vodka and gin, wine, and gave out cold beers. We gathered on the front patio (or loggia, if I want to be snooty) and old and new friends shared a great time. My friend Norman called the next am to say his partners were billing me for his lost production Monday am -- the sign of a great party the night before. My partner Paul was busy with his family, but still made the drive and helped with the bartending as well. He engaged several folks with his fine raconteur skills... It was nice to have the house filled with guests, happily drinking and snacking on sushi and Chinese dumplings. Japan and China aren't allies, but their foods get along... Monday we took Dave and Sandra to Wagon's West, and Dr. Vince joined us, as did D1. The place only has booths, really made for 4, but we squeezed 6 in tight, and enjoyed breakfast. Later that night, we drove to Brickell and met D1 and her boyfriend Joel at Perricone's -- a lovely Italian place where we enjoyed the cool night breezes with out pasta. Vince joined us again, after his stepdaughters canceled a dinner with him, and then we all walked around Mary Brickell Village before decamping to D1's apartment, where Dave, Sandra, and Vince marveled at the gorgeous night views. Yesterday, our innkeeper/tourguide roles continued, as we took Dave and Sandra first to South Miami for lunch, and then to Lincoln Road. They loved it -- the array of beautiful people, and dogs, and shops. They lamented their impending return to cold, rainy, gray England. Today normal life resumes. I'm headed to the office, and then my FIU class tonight. I'm having lunch with an old client Friday -- a lady who has referred us much of our business, to see if we can't ramp up again in 2013. Dr. Dave is likely retiring from his doctor gig this year -- at 58. England's National Health Service doesn't make docs wealthy, but it does provide a nice pension. Last night I told him we ought to market his humor flyer, which he puts out monthly, as a second career. He loved the idea that he might make money from "a limited vocabulary." For now, I guess we'll both keep trudging along...

No comments: