Friday, November 2, 2012

Thursday Night at the Stadium

So after a week that started with a funeral, last night was a breath of fresh, cool air. I offered my friend Rob my extra Canes ticket, and he took the train to my office, 2 bottles of liquor in tow. We drove up to the stadium, and Norman and his good friend and client Maria were already putting out the Shorty's barbecue. His law partners were there, and soon Dr. Barry, Scott, Dr. Eric and Dana joined us. At the last tailgate, I did an awful thing to Dr. Barry. I introduced him to a lawyer I know whose son has a rare medical condition -- turning Barry's sacred tailgate time into an hour long medical consult. Last night, Rob and my friend Bruce happened by. Bruce's beautiful girl is a patient of one of Barry's former proteges, but this time there was no medical consult --just some teary eyed thanks by Bruce to Barry about the great care they get at UM Peds...Thankfully, the young lady is doing great! So we ate, and drank, and laughed in the gorgeous weather. Shorty's forgot the side dishes, and everyone gave Norman crap about that -- good naturedly, of course. The Canes won, big, in the end, though it was a competitive game until very late. We had a tremendous time, of course. I drove Rob home, and we talked about life. His oldest son is an accomplished artist, and his young one is finishing high school, and headed to a career in the arts as well. Rob and his wife divorced 4 years ago, and he's now with a lovely lady. He told me how happy he is with her. She called as we made our way home -- she clearly ached to have him back with her. He told me that NEVER happened with his wife -- she might have noticed if he went missing after a week or so. But such is romance, and marriage, and men and women. Last night was about friends and fun and laughter, and it was a banner Thursday in the glorious cool air of Miami autumn.

No comments: