Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fun with Extremists

So the election turned out better I could have hoped. Obama won big, all the sneaky Republican constitutional amandments failed, we voted to give a big bond issue to the schools (our Schools Chief Carvalho is the best in all of Miami history -- dude can win whatever office he chooses, or get paid to appear as a young Al Pacino lookalike), and even the issue approving money for the puppies passed! Wifey went to bed feeling like I did when the Canes bear Nebraska in January of '84 -- ecstatic. As my neighbor Mark mentioned as we met this am, the demographics have just changed. We're no longer a natin of old white men, and the GOP panders so much to the extremists, they got nailed. So they're sad up in "fetus land," as Wifey calls it (when we drive to Gainesville to see D2, north of Orlando on the Turnpike there are all these creepy anti abortion billboards showing happy and angelic WHITE fetuses begging not to be terminated). For the rest of us NOT in fetusland, it's a banner day. So I got a call in my office yesterday, from some far right group. I gave money to our GOP Congresswoman, Ileana Ros Lehtinen, who I really dig. She's smart, open minded, and, bucking her party, very pro gay. She's also close friends with the very liberal, curly haired, map of Israel on her face Debbie Schultz from Broward. Since I gave money to Ileana, I'm apparently on the Conservative list, and the nice lady, Carole Waspiness (not her real name) asked me to contribute to a fund started by Mike Huckabee that wants to take out full page ads criticizing Obama for limiting, somehow, absentee voting among the military. When the second lady came on the phone after Huckabee's message (Bonnie Allwhite -- also not her real name), she asked how much I would be giving. I went into a tirade -- asking how a TRUE conservative could disobey our Commander in Chief. She countered that the Tea Party was for this, and I lambasted her more -- Teddy Roosevelt was a true conservative -- the Tea Party were frauds -- wanting to government to interfere in reproductive rights! She was chastened, as I guess this sort of reaction from a supposedly good Republican wasn't in her play book. I said "God bless America" and hung up. So I had my fun. My guy won. Great -- my taxes will surely rise now on my investments, and I have to worry about estate taxes eating away at the Ds' inheritance. Hopefully that won't be a concern in the too near future... We Jews voted, apparently, 68 % for the black guy, so all the crap about his being Israel bad never got traction. We acted, as the great observation noted, as follows: Jews earn like Episcopalians and vote like Puerto Ricans. And that makes me proud.

No comments: