Friday, November 30, 2012

Brazilian Girls

So my friend Joel likes Brazilian Girls. Not THE, just the name. They're not Brazilian, and it's just one girl, but he was turned on to them by Dan, who used to work for our roomie Mark, but wanted to be a musician, but his Jewish Boca Mom said no way, and so Dan is a very unhappy lawyer... So anyway, Joel got tickets, and the show was last night. I picked him up at 9pm, the time I'm often ready for bed, and we drove to Midtown. We found the place, parked, and learned the show started at 11, so we went to a way cool place called Gigi and drank Stella beers. They also had some good grilled food there, and we shared small plates like 2 badly dressed gay guys. Around 11, we went to the venue, named Bardot. As in Bar DOT, as in a punny homage to the French actress. As in I was clearly the only clubgoer old enough to have any idea who Bridget Bardot is, or was, except, I guess, for some of the hipster film students. The place was packed, and they allow smoking. I thought of my sister Trudy, who is a militant ex smoker. She would have walked out. Joel ran into a buddy of his, and they talked criminal law. I wandered over to the pool table, where some very attractive lesbians were playing some pool. I reported this to Wifey this am, who asked how I knew they were lesbians. As I told her, it was something subtle -- they were passionately making out! Around 1115, the three member group bellied their way to the stage. I happened to be standing about 5 feet away, and it was pretty cool the be so close. They were great -- they play a very pleasant mix of reggae beats and dance hall beats, with snappy lyrics. The lead singer, half ITalian and half German, isn't hard on the eyes, and she's like a prettier and less weird version of Lady Gaga, with a better voice and fewer stage quirks. The drummer was terrific, and the keyboardist, who is the lead singer Sabina's boyfriend, was great, too. He looked like Art Garfunkel's son. As Joel remarked, they look like recent Juliard grads... I was really getting into the music, and swaying among the packed young crown, but then I was pulled away urgently. The 4 beers I drank at Giga and Bardot played havoc with my aging prostate, and I squeezed my way to the men's room. Ahhhh -- it was one of the best pees in awhile -- I guess beer does that to older guys. I tipped the nice attendant $5, which made his face light up, and returned to the show. I found a worn leather sofa in a corner, and plopped down. The acoustics were fine, and I listened and swayed along with my relieved prostate. A young arty looking girl, with thick black glasses and raven hair, plopped down next to me. She began texting and emailing. I wondered again about this generation -- rarely living in the moment. They're never really in ONE place -- and it's a shame. The music was delightful, and this young girl was checking Facebook photos of some other time and place. Oh well...I really AM old. The show ended about 1:30 am, and Joel and I met up outside. He, of a younger prostate, shot phone photos of the whole show, and renewed his crush on Sabina. He's leaving this am to meet a former president of some Banana Republic jailed on drug charges, and they called him in to the case! I'm so proud of him -- he takes his work seriously, but himself much less so. My kind of guy. I made it home around 2, stripped off my cigarette smoked clothes, and went to bed. It's nice to walk on the young side every once in awhile.

No comments: