Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I See Old People

The title pretty much described Wifey and my life lately. Between ancient Mom, and her father Richard, the dominant news has been trips to Miami Jewish Home, reams of paper work for getting them both Medicaid approved, and for Wifey, the added attraction of dealing with her lovely mother. I mean lovely in the sense of not so much... So when I fired up the Little Girlie Lexus hybrid Friday, and headed north to fetch Dr. Eric, I sighed in relief the whole way. No more olds, for awhile...I spoke to my sister Sue, who told me excitedly about getting ready to attend a 100th birthday party for her friend in Visalia. I stopped her in her tracks: I didn't want to even HEAR about anyone old for awhile... Dana packed us water and apple slices, and Eric took the controls of the girlie car. We talked the whole 5 hours -- about our kids, our pasts, our parents, and our lives. I dropped him off at Jennifer's place, and headed to Yellow House, to see D2 and her roommates. They're so, well, YOUNG! And so they're vivacious and beautiful. My sister once said there's no such thing as an ugly 20 year old. She's right. Several of the other Dads, and one step Dad were there. We headed over to the Swamp, the famous UF bar, and we had a few, following dinner at a great wing and beer place. At the swamp there were MORE Dads, and pretty and blonde Carly. Many of the Dads were Gators themselves, and enjoyed trading Skeeter and bad UF football stories... Saturday we hung around, and I took D2 to Publix and a liquor store. I bought her some Absolut, to be drunk when she turns 21. When we got home, I told her and Catherine, Ashley, and Ali to come over to the kitchen. I would show them a cool trick -- put the vodka in the freezer. I opened the freezer and there were already 4 bottles there -- they each had their own. I am really, really uncool... Later we went to a house down the street, where a spirited game of "Flip Cup" was going on. It's a version of beer pong, where you have to chug some beer, and then flip an overturned cup right side up. D2 and I won our round. We were proud. The Dad who sponsored the get together had an IPOD with great 70s and 80s tunes. We swayed to Talking Heads, and Journey. I immediately knew I'd have hung with him 30 years ago... Next was dinner Downtown, at a hip placed called 101. It was South Beachy, but at $40 per person for dinner, including a Stella or two, about 1/3 the cost of a South Beach place. Sunday we went to the sorority house for a farewell brunch, and then Eric and I hit the road. I know I'm biased, but my D2 is a spectacular young lady. She's gorgeous, bright, and with her father's sharp wit. She has deep and meaningful friendships. I love being around her. And she's YOUNG! Yesterday Paul and I had some marketing business, and then I headed to MJH to see ancient Mom. I wheeled her a few buildings away, to see my father in law. Wifey was there, and cell phone videod the two of them having 2 separate conversations. Sample: "Sunny, they're going to cut my hair." My mother: "Yes, it's nice when you get fresh air." I leave in 3 days for Chicago, and MORE young ish folks. It's good to get away...

No comments: