Friday, September 28, 2012

Going Up to Gainesville

The first time I visited Gainesville was September, 1982. I went with Drs. Barry and Eric, and we slept on our friend Mark's friend Debbie's apartment floor. We were there for a Canes-Gators game, which the Gators won, as I recall. The thing I remember most is how long the drive was, but we didn't care, as we chatted and played 8 track tapes in my '79 Firebird. We arrived late at night, and got huge biscuits at Skeeters -- long since closed. Since then, I've visited many, many times -- for football games, and a 2 week trial with my old boss Frank. We lost the trial, too. D1 went to UF from '06- 10, and so there were plenty of trips, including a triumphant one when she graduated in May of '10. Now D2 is a junior there, and this weekend it's her sorority's father/daughter weekend. Eric's girl Jen is a senior, so this is the last of this kind of trip for him. What lives he and I have been blessed to have over these last 3 decades. Eric graduated at the top of our college and his med school classes -- and he went to Harvard to become a cardiologist. Most importantly, he married his true life partner and best friend Dana, and they've raised 2 amazing kids. The youngest, Josh, is a freshman at Ga. Tech. I always call him Eric with a better personality, because he got his Dad's keen smarts and his mother's sunnier disposition... I've made a fee bucks as a lawyer, and been amazingly blessed with Wifey and the Ds. And today I get to head up to see D2 and her terrific friends. When I awoke this am, I remembered right away that I was going on the trip, but for the first moments thought I was still 21. I hope that stays a part of me forever. The trips to Gainesville are all about being around the young. Wifey and I have had more than enough of the very old lately -- between my mother and now her Dad going into a nursing home. It's ben about transferring accounts, and social workers, and caring for 80 and 90 year olds. I plan to savor these next few days, surrounded by the vital and beautiful 20 somethings. The world is theirs...and I look forward to sharing the energy. I'm still 21 at heart -- right?

No comments: