Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Kind of Town, Chicago Is

So for the second weekend in a row, I planned to escape the "Olds," as I have taken to calling my mother and father in law. Last time it was Dad/Daughter sorority weekend at UF; last Friday I left for Chicago to watch my Canes play Notre Dame. I arrived at MIA, and the departure lounge was crawling with Canes fans. I was going alone -- most of my crew was already there, or taking other flights. I met a lawyer I know, who was going with his wife, a middle aged Cuban lady. She had a sour look on her face, and was giving him a rash of crap about not telling her how cold it would be at the stadium -- why didn't they pack better, etc... Although Wifey would NEVER make any trip I took anything other than wonderful, I looked skyward as my fellow bar member was being tortured and hen pecked, and thanked the Big Man for traveling alone... Mike and Loni's girl Amanda and her friend Nick were coming in from LA, so we met up at O'Hare (ne easy feat) and were picked up by Mike, Loni, and Chris. A huge dinner awaited all of us in 3 hours, so Mike pulled off the highway so we could all eat Chicago hot dogs at a place called Hot Doug's. I had one small dog, and some french fries cooked in duck fat -- something they only do on Fridays... They all dropped me at the Paramore, where Eric and Dana were checking in. We sat in the lovely lobby, and they drank wine, and we met several other fans and played Cane geography... My law partner Paul joined us from an apartment where he camped out with his boy Alex, and we walked to Gene and Georgetti's, and old Chicago Italian steak house. It was PACKED. Many Canes fans were there, drinking and eating. Rob was at the bar with his old friend Scott, and Paul and Darriel and their granddaugher joined the group, along with Mike's sister Jeannine and her husband Ray. Dr. Barry and Scott arrived, and we were seated at a table. I think there were 22 of us. I had several Ketel Ones, and we had enormous steaks. The second floor was FILLED with Canes fans, and a wine charged Rob led us all in some cheers. The crowd was rowdy. At a table next to us, someone was gnawing on a T Bone, as his tablemated cheered him on. Next we knew, the hunk of steak was passed to several tables, and the drunkest or bravest (it was Rob at our table), took a bite. It was hilarious, and even more so when Dana showed her disgust. "I would NEVER eat another man's meat," she assured us... From G and G's, Eric, Dana, Paul, and I went to a new Chicago club called "Untitled." Paul's son Alex's friend Mike is a part owner, and we got VIP entry, past the crowd of 50 or so waiting to go in. Alex was there with his brother in law Derek, and Derek's childhood friend Dwight, Junior, the son of a Dolphins Hall of Famer. Dwight junior played football at Notre Dame, and invited us all to a huge tailgate party. Saturday we walked around the city, and then went to Lou Malnati's for some deep dish pizza and beer. That place was ALSO packed with Canes fans. We acquitted ourselves well consuming mass quantities, and then took a cab to Soldier Field. After walking for miles, we found the Notre Dame tailgate party, and enjoyed our rivals' company. They were truly fun and classy folks. Dwight, junior is a wildly impressive young man -- now working in real estate in Chicago. If he ever decided to run for office, he could well surpass another fellow from Chicago now battling to keep his job... The game took place. It was cold there. And the Olds managed to get me, at least partially. The heavily Creole nurses called. Mom needed a transfusion, and they wanted to move her to Mt. Sinai. I refused, but kept getting cut off in the mass of phone users. After about 30 minutes, I was able to tell them to keep Mom on campus... Dr. Barry and Scott dropped Eric, Dana, and I off at the hotel. We found a Starbucks and I had a smoothie while they had some coffees. I missed an early flight home, and so have spent the afternoon in the O'Hare Admiral's Club, watching football and drinking. I have no doubt the Olds will require my services upon my return...

No comments: