Friday, October 19, 2012

Thursday Night Eats

So my good friend Norman called and invited me on a date: Miami New Times Iron Chef competition, at a funky bar west of the AA called Grand Central. Norman's brother had bought some VIP tickets, but couldn't go, and Norman's foreign born wife had some kind of Yoga class, so I was in. I love calling Deb foreign born. She's Canadian, which to me is sort of like being from Wisconsin or Minnesota, and it's funny to link her with a wife from, say, Uzbekistan... Anyway, Norman fetched me and, as the two of us share a very un Miami need to be early for everything --were first in line in the VIP slot. We entered and headed to the bar, where they were serving some new fangled carmel flavored vodka. We acquitted ourselves well --Norman with OJ and mine with only ice. And we sampled the food -- which was delicious. MAny top restaurants were there offering samples --and, not wanting to insult Norman's brother, who paid for the tickets, we felt it was our responsibility to eat heavily. We had cerviches, spicy tacos, pulled pork sliders, chicken sandwiches, brisket -- it was a true feast. We were full, and wondered why -- as the portions were small. Then we recalled we had like 20 of them... We ran into Norman's nephew, a lawyer, and his pregnant wife, and Norman's niece alnd her husband, who work for the family construcion business. I never envy my friends, but last night I did. Norman's family -- there are 3 brothers and a sister -- are very close -- including the many cousins. They squabble, of course, but Norman's boys and his sister and brothers' kids are a big part of each others' lives. They all live in Miami, which is a big part of it, but still...it is definitely old school. Each cousin knows the others are there for him or her, and they truly like each other, mostly. We went inside the building, and they were preparing for the IRon Chef competition. Norman and I finished the last of the heavy eating and drinking. The place grew crowded, as an hour after the VIP folks were let in, the "regular" people were admitted. Norman and I realized we each cared far more about eating than watching the chefs compete -- so we left. It was the best Thursday night I've had in awhile...and a fitting prelude to a big Saturday -- Canes host FSU. FSU will probably cream our guys, but Norman and his good friend Maria, tailgate party hosts extrairdinaire -- are planning grilled filets, the best chicken wings in Miami, and stone crabs. I'm giving the tail gate party edge to the Canes on Saturday...

No comments: