Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Simple Pleasures

D1 came back to the Villa last night, as she's driving Wifey to Pembroke Pines today to tend to her failing father. My father in law continues to descend into the fog of Alzheimer's, and D1 is going along because the drive is still too much for Wifey and her aching back. So both Ds, Wifey, and I convened at Sea Siam for dinner. It was lovely. We talked about our family, and friends, and D1 and D2's school programs. Last time I was at Sea Siam, I ordered my usual King of the Sea soup, but with "medium" spice. I spent a good part of that dinner choking and tearing. Last night, I wimped out with the "mild," and was glad I did. Afterwards, the Ds went out for yogurt, while Wifey and I came home. When the Ds arrived, they decided they wanted to celebrate Father's Day early, as they had bought me my gift. They started disclaiming right away: "We can return it." "If you like it, it was MY idea, if not it was Mom's..." I'm a tough guy to buy gifts for. I love buying stuff for my family and friends, but really don't like things for myself. I find that expensive things are more of a burden than joy to me. I wear either a Tag watch I bought used for about $300, or a Breitling my friend Joel gave me after finding it in a courthouse locker. A few years back, I did splurge and buy myself a gold Omega, but it sits in a safe now, eyed from time to time by D1, who wants it as a grad school graduation gift. I dress like I did in grad school myself -- really don't like clothes. I have the same Ray Bans I bought 10 years ago. I really, truly, don't like or want stuff...(although I did recently find a flask someone gave me for a birthday. It's disguised as a pair of binoculars, and I do plan to take it to some Marlins games later this season, filled with Ketel One, so I can laugh at the $18 martinis they sell at the Park... Anyway, after continued disclaimers, they gave me my gift: a pair of Cole Haan sandals, from DSW shoes. They acutally bought 2 sizes so I wouldn't have my usual "It doesn't fit" excuse. The size 10s did in fact fit. Wifey and the ladies knew I do like Cole Haan shoes. I buy myself a new pair or 2 every few years, when Nordstrom has a big sale. And the sandals I was wearing around the house (and sometimes, to their horror, outside the house) were plastic Nike numbers -- the height of fashion in about 1995... So I DID like my new sandals, although when I heard they cost $70, I was ready to return them. No, D1 assured me, with her discount, they were $48. Fine. At less than $50, I would accept their gift. Father's Day is Sunday, and D2 and I will be returning from a moving trip to Gainesville. We have to schlep her stuff to the house she is renting with 3 other sorority sister friends, where presumably she will spend her junior and senior years in Gator land. D1 is going to Long Boat Key with her boyfriend Joel and his family, and is also due back Sunday, so Father's Day might be a bit busy with returning travelers... But last night, where Wifey, the Ds and I sat around for a few hours, with dogs underfoot and jumping into laps, and the conversation was of great cheer, well, it's as good as it gets. I ordered King of the Sea soup at the restaurant. And my ladies made me feel like King of the House...

No comments: