Monday, June 4, 2012

Aye, Aye, Captain

Wifey, D2, and I just returned from one of our favorite local restaurant: Captain's Tavern. D1 was out taking an exam in her "Proteins" class, and doesn't much like the place anyway. Since she was a small child, D2 has followed in her maternal grandmother's gastronimicical footsteps (I love mixing metaphors): she loves lobster. While Tuesday night is "Lobster Night," the rest of the weeknights the Tavern serves a 1/2 pound local tail for $22, including potato and salad. Chomp, as the Ds say... The Tavern has been around for over 40 years, with the original decor and carpeting. There is wood paneling and shelves with old bottles and knick knacks, and a bunch of fish tanks where the small version of the daily meals can see their awful fate. A few years ago, the NY Times reviewed the place, and bestowed upon it some kind of best local Miami fish house award. It's well deserved -- the fish is amazingly fresh. The service is, well, serviceable. Our waiter tonight was an early 20 Palmetto High grad --competent and friendly. The staff sticks to the program -- I asked for vegetables instead of rice or potato with my "Admiral's Platter," and was politely refused. That's ok -- you accept things that way here. The co owner is some sort of vaguely ethnic background -- maybe Filipina. She NEVER smiles, and NEVER sits a party unless all are present. A few years ago, I outsmarted her. Wifey was tarrying, and the rest of our group was ready, so I pointed out another middle aged Jewess and sort of implied that she was my wife. The hostess sat us, and realized I had hoodwinked her. Each time I see her, I can swear she smirks just a little more than normal at me. That's ok -- you go to the Tavern for the fresh fish -- definitely not the ambience. Speaking of that...we got there early, and Wifey and I were by FAR the youngest diners. The crowd was late 60s and up. By the time we left, the younger families (I guess waiting for Dad to get home from work) were filling in. I like having Hemingwayesque clean, well lighted places nearby, to serve shellfish and grouper. Wifey, D2 and I spent a lovely Monday dinner there tonight. And I ate like an Admiral...

No comments: