Sunday, May 20, 2012

Time Passages

Last night Wifey and I went to a party down in Palmetto Bay -- our friend Rob and his posslq Monica hosted some people. POSSLQ is one of those terms from the 70s no one uses any more --it stands for "person of opposite sex sharing living quarters." I guess it's sort of quaint. Anyway, we had some drinks, but then Wifey's back reared its head, and she left. Old friends Mike and Loni and Paul and Darriel kept the party going -- he headed off to Flanigans in Sunniland for a rare 11 pm dinner. I'm the newcomner in that group, and I joined them in 1983. Holy moley -- nearly 30 years ago. Darriel wondered if we'd be sitting around together 30 years into the future. She's older than we are --61, so that would bring her to my mother's range. I guess we'll find out. Still, we laughed a lot, as we always do, and planned our trip to Chicago in October to watch our beloved Canes play hated Notre Dame. The largest contingent of my friends are going this year. Hopefully Norman can settle some silly case he has, and join us for some steaks and football. I'm not sure there's much better. I slept late today, which made me so sleepy I took another nap from 2 to 4. D2 and her boyfriend Josh were here, and then left us to dog sit Josh's dog Roscoe. He and our sausage-like dog Vienna wrestled and rolled together for hours. Ancient Lab Honey looked on wistfully... It was great to have such a quiet weekend, but my juices are starting to flow for some travel. I think the events of last week, with ancient Mom, have prompted it. I love Key West this time of year -- the slow season -- and that place beckons. Wifey isn't up for the drive. I may just head down myself for a few nights. Wednesday we have the group meeting for Mom. I'm pretty sure she'll be a candidate for the nursing home. Once that happens, it'll be a time of relief. She'll be watched over and cared for, and we can visit her and bring her some peace and happiness in this final stage. Speaking of time -- she's had a lot of it. She's older than the original Yankee Stadium. She was born into a Bronx before that icon was there. She's outlived most of her family and most, if not all, of her friends. To her, the 30 years that seems so long to me, at 50, is a hiccup. 30 years hence, huh?

No comments: