Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rising Junior

After a tad of back related domestic angst, Wifey drove me to MIA and the longest security line ever. I waited and waited --it took nearly an hour to get through, and that was on the "Special AA line." I finally made it to the Skytrain and my gate, and then boarded the small jet bound for GNV. Ah, I do love those small jets. I go into fantasy mode that I OWN the thing, and instead of a seat by the exit row I'm stretched out on a leather sofa, awaiting rock star treatment. The flight attendant came over. 60ish, like a near retired girls' gym coach, with short gray hair and a build that looked like she'd easily kick my ass. "Sir --do you realize you're sitting in an exit row?" I jumped out of my reverie, sized up that this was no hot groupie, and quickly said "Yes, ma'am, and I hereby agree to follow all instructions for the operation of the door if so called upon by you or any other authorized member of the flight crew." She smiled and said "You are ONE adorable man!" So at least I know I still do it for the older, dyke-ey looking set... We swooped, literally, into Gainesville, and there was a smiling D2 in a shiny red Volvo to take me to the AEPHi house. I schlepped (although I pledged not to be a schlepper in life, this is not so for my Ds) some plastic bins and duffels to the car, and then we said goodbye to a tearful Ali, her roommate. Ali is way cool, and headed to Italy and then Israel for Birthright (tm). She has a great summer ahead, but already missed D2...and was honest about her emotions. We parted, and agreed to meet on the Isle of Long later in the summer. Next it was the Turnpike, which around Orlando, is thankfully construction-free. We had originally planned to spend the night there, with good friend Elizabeth, but as D2 was so efficient in her packing, we left Gville at 2, so we decided to cruise right home. We stopped in Yeehaw Junction, a place that, after 33 years living in Florida, still brings me a smile when I see its name. I told D2 about one night I spent there, with my partner Paul. We were driving home from a road trip, and had dinner with Elizabeth, and thought we could make it back. Around Yeehaw, I got WAY tired, and we pulled off the road. The Bates--like motel was the only place to stay...we learned that next time, stay in Orlando... As we neared Delray, we decided to pay a surprise visit to my ancient Mom. It was around 7 pm, and we found her in bed, fully dressed. She was excited to see us. She told us, after rising, that she had gotten off little Susie to school, and decided to go back to sleep. Little Susie is my sister, about to turn 64. That hallucination was sweet, but then Mom, interspersed with reality based conversation about D2's boyfriend, and Wifey's parents, got serious and said "You know, Susan's dead, but I'm the only one who knows it. She and everyone else think she's alive, but I know the truth...but that's ok, I play along..." The temperature in the room seemed to drop. D2 pleaded with her grandma that her aunt was still quite alive. Mom just smiled, like she knew something we couldn't possibly understand. The great writer Isaac Singer used to say that as he grew old, he believed in ghosts. He didn';t fear them; rather, it was conforting to him to know he was between the two worlds. And so it is with Mom. She seems to enjoy these visions and dreams -- they get her through the long stretches of her self decided lonliness. D2 and I left and immediately called California. Alas, Aunt Susan was still alive, and mildly annoyed by our mother's hallucinations. "Why the hell didn't she kill off Trudy?" was her question, showing D2 that sibling rivalry lasts a lifetime... As we were on the Palmetto, amazingly traffic free, we called Anthony's Coal Fired for a welcome home pizza and salad. Wifey joined us in the breakfast "Knock," as my mother in law malapropped that space in our house, and we happily caught up on D2's sophomore year. If there's something better than having her home, I don't know what it is.

No comments: