Thursday, May 31, 2012

Across the Bay

Biscayne Bay, where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day, and now where a very, very old Jewish lady is spending her final time... Ancient Mom was brought to Mt. Sinai Hospital 8 days ago, and is just today being discharged. The nurse practitioner at Miami Jewish Home noticed a hard belly, and wanted it checked out. So that too has passed, and now Sunny is heading back to the MJH, outfitted with a brand new inferior vena cava filter, which will prevent the blood clots in her no longer used legs from traveling to her lungs or brain. So the clots won't kill her -- something else will have to. The drive from Mt. Sinai back to Little Haiti traverses a gorgeous causeway, where the amazing Miami Skyline is on full display. There is truly no more striking view in Florida than the futuristic buildings set against the beautiful bay. Mom won't see it, of course, riding in the back of an ambulance, but I like to think she'll know its there. Of course, as always, there's humor. Mom's doctor is orthodox, and Mom thinks he's a rabbi. But, he also has been speaking to her about her choice for cremation as opposed to Jewish burial. I was wondering why all of a sudden Mom has been creepily asking me about "when I had my burning..." So I'll gently explain to the well meaning frum doc that Mom has made up her mind to go the way my father did...I'm sure the fellow means well, as my orthodox rabbi friend does when he reminds ME about all of those many mitzvot I ought to perform and don't. Who knows -- if the Canes get the death penalty and no longer play, I just MIGHT start observing the sabbath... Anyway, I'll go see Mom tomorrow -- back at MJH. She signed the most aggressive living will there is -- to be LEAST aggressive in keeping her artificially alive. I'll ask the MJH staff to honor it, so hopefully no more trips across the bay. Although, somehow that drive always renews me, somehow.

No comments: