Friday, September 9, 2011

Not a Lexus After All

So as I transitioned into a somewhat more humble lifestyle (my law partner hates when I admit this --he wants the world to think we're still high powered, kick ass attorneys), I looked at ways to save money.

I lease my cars for three year periods, and my big Lexus was up for renewal. The asking price, in '09, was over $1000 per month. No way, I decided, I rarely drove clients or referral sources around, and all I want is a somewhat comfortable, reliable car, with leather seats and a decent sound system, with room for the corpulent assets my success has caused. When I squeeze into a small car, the Ds and Wifey tell me I look like Shrek...

So I saw a Hyundai Genesis go by, and I was attracted. Good looking car, I thought. I went to a dealer and sat in one, and the dealer told me that the Genesis and new model Equus were leading the Hyundai company into the sort of sub brand that Toyota did with Lexus, and Honda did with Infiniti. And, fully equipped, with no money down, I could lease one for about $500 per month!

What a bargain, I thought, until I talked to my secretary and friend Mirta, who reminded me that my "bargain" of $500 per month was still considered expensive by normal people...She was right --like many in my group, I sometimes forget reality...

So I got the car, in November, '09. It was terrific. Drove great, and had all the gadgets of my Lexus. A few months later, some small, annoying problems started --the steering wheel tilt motor broke, as did the seat motor, forcing me to drive with my legs crushed against the dash until I could get it fixed. Still, the dealer took care of things...

I sang the car's praises. In fact, my brother in law just got one, as did another lawyer in my building. I should have waited awhile...

The windshield washer stopped working. Then the back up camera did the same. I took it to the dealer, and they told me they'd order a new camera (it took 2 months) but the washer was my own fault! Road debris had cracked the resevoir, and it wasn't covered, and it would cost $400 to fix!

I started an appeal, which consisted of talking to a series of very nice but powerless and clueless young customer service reps in Utah. They were so sweet, but ultimately told me that I had lost, but I was free to sue Hyundai if I wanted!

Really? I took the car to Monah, our mechanic, and he replaced the thing for $150, and told me it WAS a manufacturing defect. I called Hyundai one more time. No, they said, they had investigated (they spoke to the local dealer, who told corporate the same thing they told me) and the case was closed. Oh well...

Then, 2 days ago. the steering wheel motor broke again. Now I'm driving the damn car looking like a little old man --the wheel is stuck in the "up" position. And an even more insidious problem has developed: the auto shut off of the headlights no longer works. On Wednesday the security guard in my building called up to the office: my lights were on. I checked, and sure enough, the selector was in the "auto" position.

So now I have to make sure to shut off the lights each time I park. I haven't done that since the 90s, with my Mazda 323...

I called the dealer yesterday, to make an appointment to fix these latest problems. They haven't called back. I figure I'll leave the car there when I go away for a week in October, and won't need it anyway. Hyundai doesn't give loaner cars, even when they have to perform warranty service.

I hope the car has gotten better in the last 2 years, or my brother in law and the other attorney in my building are going to be unhappy campers, too...

So the bottom line is, I guess, you can't get a $1000 per month car for $500. The Hyundai might look and seem like a Lexus, but they have quite a long way to go. They might start with their seat and steering wheel motors...

When the seat broke the second time, Wifey had moved it to the shortest position. It locked there. I had to drive for another week looking like a midget in a VW...

My lease ends in 13 months. I need to keep the downsizing numbers. All I want is reliability and comfort. The Camry is looking fine.

I told my friend Joel this. He just got his first Porsche --a souped up 911. Joel is 10 years younger and on the make as a lawyer. He has an image to maintain --when he drives around town, people have to see him in a dashing, expensive car.

He told me that if I got a Camry, I might as well just kill myself. It's all over for me.

Nah! As long as it has a decent sound system, with XM, I can keep rocking along...

No comments: