Saturday, September 3, 2011

Finding My Religion

So Rabbi Yossi and I spent a bunch of time together this week, and it was fine...

I met him for coffee near UM, and we talked about my post lawyer life. He told me about the desperate folks who come to see him, driven by the awful economy. He saddened me with the tale of a woman, a single professional mom, who lost her job. Her son is 16 and goes the the Ds' high school.

The Mom was forced to move to a welfare motel, but still drops her son off at the "rich" publice school. The boy is hungry. Rabbi Yossi gave him some cash...

I mentioned to Rabbi that my friend knew a LOT about drug treatment --one of the mom's problems. Yossi said he'd call my friend --although he's known the fellow since he (the Rabbi) moved to Miami, he didn't know he was a recovery maven...

Then the Rabbi asked --would I consider being a part time liason clearinghouse for folks who came to him for help. I would, I told him...

The next night I met again, this time at the young millionaire's mansion nearby. There were 13 fellows there to discuss Torah. We analyzed the age old dilemma of the animalistic soul fighting the Godly soul, in each of us. I prefer to visualize the angel and devil over each of Larry Kroger's shoulders in "Animal House."

The Rabbi asked which soul wins. We all debated, most agreeing that sometimes the bad wins, and we do what we ahouldn't, and sometimes the good wins...

The Rabbi answered simply: the one that you feed. It's like having 2 dogs in your house, one you feed and the other you don't. The well fed dog will win the fight over the starving, skinny one...

Hmmm...feeding our good souls...

Then last night, Wifey and I went to shabbos dinner for the first time in a long time. The rabbi and his wife have 8 kids. The oldest is away at school in Pittsburgh, and the two youngest were sleeping. So 5 joined us, ranging in age from 14 to 8.

It's remarkable. All of their kids are wonderful, beautiful children. They each explained what they had learned in school. And they weren't "programmed" --they fidgeted and argued a little among each other, like all kids, but they spoke so respectfully and well.

Later, the baby, 7 months, woke up, and the Rabbi's wife fetched him. He's a blonde, Gerber looking baby. Wifey held him, and he smiled and laughed constantly.

8 kids, and probably more to come, and they're ALL winners. It doesn's seem possible in the secular world. Everyone I know with more than 2 kids has at least one loser...many families have more. Maybe there's something to this God thing after all...

Anyway, we ate well, and laughed, and talked of old days and current. Another couple was there --empty nesters like Wifey and me, and we compared notes. Their 24 year old is getting married in February, and their 28 year old son is getting a second master's degree in St. Louis --no marriage in sight.

So the REAL Days of Awe approach (Jewish New Year and Day of Atonement). I guess I'm getting in the mood for some introspection and reflection...

But, not fully yet! Tomorrow I leave early for a decidedly NON spiritual trip. I'm flying to D.C. with my friend Norman. We'll meet his boy Michael, a college senior, and then meet Mike and his son Chris, already in D.C.

We're meeting an old LI friend of mine, John, recently retired after a long career in the federal government, and the 6 of us have dinner reservations at the D.C. Palm.

The plan is martinis and steaks.

And then Monday, we'll take the train to College Park, MD, to watch our beloved Canes open the season at U Maryland.

Who knows? Maybe there'll be some spirituality there, too...

No comments: