Friday, September 16, 2011

Game Day Tomorrow

So we have the biggest Canes game in a long while coming up tomorrow, and I'm feeling underwhelmed and fatigued about it. Going to Canes tailgates used to be the most fun event of the week. But, alas, a number of factors have dulled the luster.

First, the Orange Bowl is gone. Partying there was the best. Even though Joe Robbie Stadium (I refuse to call it by any other name) is far plusher, the place has no soul. It never did, and I don't think it ever will. It's a big concrete corporate event headquarters...

Second, the team is mediocre. It never hurt that we got together before our Canes played a game that was typically part of a season where we'd win or come close to winning a national championship. There were down times, of course, but they never lasted. The team had greatness in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. Although we were teased with a return to quality, it's never really happened. The thought that we lost an opener to Maryland...Maryland! shows how far we've fallen.

And lastly, of course, I've gotten old. We used to enjoy heavy drinking, and laughter, at my friend Mike's tailgate. Over the years, the parties became a more family friendly (boring) affair.

Last year, I started going to my friend Norman's get togethers. He has an amazing spread, and a real nice mix of folks. My friend Eric also started his own tailgates, and he nicely coordinates folks bringing different things.

Well, I plan to give it my level best tomorrow. My trusty cooler will be filled with ice and vodka, and Wifey is going for the first time in years. She can drive home. Somehow, I think that by the time the Stoli kicks in , I'll be having a fine time...

And yet, the unthinkable creeps in to my thoughts. Might this be my last year as a season ticket holder for awhile? If the Canes get heavily sanctioned, and the games have little meaning next year...my only game might be Notre Dame in Chicago. That will be a blast no matter what. But since 1979 I've never missed more than 2 games in any season...

We'll see. FIU has a program on the rise, and an on campus stadium. I went to a game there with my friend Kenny last year, and it was a great atmosphere. College football meets Cuban culture...Only in Miami...

The tickets are cheap, and a tradition can easily be started. FIU has plenty of room to tailgate. Wifey's an alum, and D1 will be in less than 2 years...

OK, I've stopped these thoughts. I spoke to D2 about the upcoming game. She asked if I was going to get drunk, and start shouting insults about the unsophistication of the opposing team. Apparently, I yelled "Take your redneck asses back to Oklahoma!" No, we play Ohio State, not Oklahoma tomorrow. I told D2 not to worry...

Seasons change, and so do I , as the song goes. But for now, it's still Go Canes!

No comments: