Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Early Morning Gloaming

I drank coffee as a child, for some strange reason known only to my kooky mother. She used to make me 1/2 coffee and 1/2 milk, with sugar. I remember having it each morning, with English muffins with the American cheese fit to the round muffin. I guess I DID have some OCD even then -- I wouldn't eat the muffins with the cheese hanging over...

Anyway, I stopped drinking coffee probably in junior high school, and didn't go back until years later. I got through college and law school, with late night study meetings, with zero caffeine...unusual.

When I started my law firm, in 1994, so some reason the coffee thing came back. My partner Paul drank a lot, black, and I guess I picked up the habit that way...and it stuck. Now I start each day with a strong cup --black --with a Splenda (tm).

I guess like many caffeine addicts, my body has come to crave it. When I wake up in the morning, before my coffee, my brain plays tricks on me. Sad, oppressive thoughts rush in --seems like all my anxities and paranoias that blissfully left me alone as I slept come rushing back.

This am, I started thinking about my investments, and the freedom they give me to have a most pleasant work life, and what if my advisors were mini Madoffs, and as I lie comfortably in my bed, they're planning to abscond to Brazil...

Well, sure enough, I came downstairs, and drank a cup, and my mood elevated. The dogs help, too. It's tough to be in a funk, even an early morning one, when you see tails and tongues wagging at the sight of your arrival...as some writer of note once said, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am...

So Fall is here, but not weather wise. It's still mighty hot and muggy. An afternoon Canes game awaits me, sans date. Wifey wants to avoid the heat, so I promised my extra ticket to Dr. Barry's son, who wants to bring his friend.

But next week --D2 is coming home from UF for the Jewish New Year. She's due in Thursday night, and we plan a small family dinner here.

And Saturday, she wants to go to the Canes game --even though it's against Bethune Cookman --not much of an opponent. I miss having her with me at games...

So the coffee has been drunk, the sun has risen, and the demons are at bay this fine Saturday morning...

And, as far as I can tell, no one I know was struck by the falling NASA satellite. What more can one hope for?

No comments: