Sunday, April 3, 2011

Second City

So I was off to Chicago, for the first time in 20 years. I had a couple of meetings for a case I'm still working on.

I love corporate America. I got to MIA, and asked for an upgrade on AA. They complied, and so I flew to O'Hare in a seat the size of a coach seat from the ancient days of the 70s. Breakfast was an overcooked omelette. I thought to myself --if I paid real First Class prices for the ticket, I'd feel like a total schmuck. But for miles, it was fine...

I got to the hotel, which was a Holiday Inn near the Merchandise Mart. The consultant's office booked it for me, and it turned out to be terrific. It was right in the midle of the Loop, where I needed to be. I had my meeting, and was free the rest of the afternoon and evening.

I asked the doorman for a good local pizza place, and he directed me to Lou Malnatti's, whioh he pronounced "Lumanatti." It was terrific. I ate a small "Lou" at the bar while watching the Cubs opener on TV. Man, they love their Cubs there, even though that team is a world class loser.

I chatted with a fellow, and told him I was from Miami. His face tightened. They still hold a grudge about '03, and the Bartman fiasco. I told him my first team was the Mets. He had another sour look. They also hold a grudge about the '69 Mets, which won after the Cubs' monumental collapse. I was happy to get out with my coat...

The weather was just awful. It was high 30s and raining. It was April. I just don't understand choosing to live in that sort of climate...

I trudged through the Loop, and admired the buildings. They really are awesome. The Tribune Building is amazing. But, the city is far less crowded than NY, and the people seem less colorful, too. I guess as a native NY guy, I'll always have that chauvonism.

After a terrific nap (cold, rainy weather truly is good nap weather) I ventured out again, to a steakhouse called Gene and Georgetti's. My friend Robin told me to go there, when she realized I didn't care about fancy foodie type places.

G and G's was terrific. My friend Norman told me to order the "garbage salad," which I did --a great mix of greens, meats, cheeses, tomatoes...I then had a T Bone, which was on the top 10 list. Washed down with a Stella, I was a full guy.

The place was packed, and pictures of the Chairman of the Board were on the wall. Apparently the place was a Rat Pack hangout, and the decor hadn't changed.

A couple at the next table offered me some mushrooms. I declined, but we began to chat. They were in town for a hardward show, from upstate NY. They thought the weather was fine...

The next am, I had breakfast, then my second meeting, and then walked around some more. The folks on the street were friendly --a cop chatted me up, and even a homeless guy directed me to an L station.

I walked to Millennium Park, and called my partner Paul on the phone. He was in NYC --his daughter Tracy had a healthy baby girl, on April Fool's Day --no joke!

We also learned that a case we referred to our friend Lance in West Palm, a near impossible claim, had settled, and we would get a healthy co counsel fee. I felt better about ordering the big steak the night before...

The weather had cleared, and the sun shone off the famous steel bean sculpture int he park. Folks take pictures near it, as it gives fish eye perspectives.

From there, I went to the L, and trained it back to O'Hare.

I killed a few hours in the Admiral's Club, and then learned I got a second upgrade. Score! I sat next to a sour faced older lady, whose husband was in the seat behind us. I offered to switch. "No!," she snapped. "He needs room for his briefcase!" I looked back at her husband, a Dick Cheney look alike. He smiled the smile of the whipped man...

I had 3 vodkas, and finished 2 magazines. I got bored. I decided to annoy the old bitch. I asked her if she was going home, or on a trip. "Both" she snapped. "We have homes in both Chicago AND Miami." She returned to her book.

When we landed, the old biddy grabbed her bag and took off ahead of Dick Cheny. She stopped in the concourse, and looked back for him with utter disgust. I couldn't help myself, and so said to him: "You know, in Muslim countries, the men walk ahead of the women. The women prefer that, due to land mines. Looks like you figured out the opposite works better."

Dick Cheny let out a guffaw that probably exceeded the bounds of his WASPishness. I think I made his night.

I passed the now reunited couple as she was asking, annoyedly, "What's so damn funny?"

So, it was a fine trip. I plan to return Fall of 2012, when the Canes play Notre Dame at Soldier Field. I look forward to my whole crew at Gene and Georgetti's. I have a feeling there will be more alcohol that trip...

No comments: