Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Boca Seder

As a child, my family celebrated Passover, but it was really just an excuse to drink Manishevitz wine and take naps on the living room carpet. I don't have clear memories of those holidays, since they were never a big deal in my house.

When I moved to Miami, and started at the U (before we called it the U), I became close friends with Eric. He and his family invited me to their seder in April, 1980, and I saw what a big deal it was for them. We ate, and laughed, and read. Eric's little sister Elissa was in high school, and already headed towards a more serious study of Judaism. I remeber clearly Eric's father Marvin beaming --surrounded by the love of his family, and his favorite children --the Dachshounds Heidi and Schnapsi --the pups got a major role in the proceedings.

After Wifey and I got together, seders were held at her parents' house. The food was deliciously home cooked by my mother in law. The readings were brief. When my sister and brother in law were here on vacation, they were welcomed to the house, and we all enjoyed ourselved immensely.

I remember one year, my in laws invited Wifey's friend Carol, who came, proudly, with some delicious baked goods. We were gentle in making fun of the non leavened nature of the holiday...

We took over seder duty after D1 was born. With extended family and friends, some years we had over 20 folks. We don't cook, so we'd bring in the food from local delis. We kept services short, and the pouring of vodka and wine long.

After some complaints about the dried nature of the takeout brisket, Wifey switched to Shorty's --our local barbecue place. We laughed when my mother in law tried it and pronounced, in her Yiddish accent, that it "vas real Jewish brisket!"

Some years we had a catered seder, and the kids enjoyed it. It was a rare treat, after D1 went off to Gainesville, when we had both girls home.

Well, this year the Grandparents got too old. Wifey's father can't drive to Miami any more, and MY ancient mother isn't really up to the car trip.

Our dear friends Eric and Dana invited us. I last sedered with Eric 31 years ago.

Wifey and I picked up D1 and her friend Joel, who I call the Hebrew Hoosier (since he's an Indiana Jewish fellow) and headed up to Boca. After my passengers (except Joel) tortured me for being too early (we headed to Town Center to kill some time) we headed to Eric and Dana's.

Eric's little sister Elissa was there, in from New Jersey, with her husband Bruce and their 2 girls. Dana's brother Steve, who is one of the sweetest guys around, greeted me with a hug. Dana's grandmother, Trudy (known as Gaga --we joked she was the original Lady Gaga) was there, in her 90s and still sharp). Elissa's friend Liz was there, too, as well as Josh, whose 17th birthday fell on the day.

Bruce's Mom, also in her 90s was there, as was Norma --Eric and Elissa's Mom. Sadly, Marvin passed years ago.

Eric, a cardiologist only in his day job, but always the Lead JCC camp counselor, had a host of activities to enliven the seder --contests involving marbles, ping pong balls, tissue boxes, and cookies that had to be ridden down one's face.

The wind poured, the Hebrew songs were sung, and we had a terrific time.

D2 and Eric and Dana's daughter Jenn were at their sorority seder in Gainesville, and Jenn made an appearance on Skype. We missed the 2 Gator girls, but they'll be back in town later in the week...

We sang happy birthday to Josh, who I always call Eric with a better personality. At one point, someone pointed out that one of the seder games looked like beer pong. Josh, in mock amazement, said "What's that????" Great kid.

We left after 10. The time had flown. Mission accomplished --we celebrated and remembered the struggles of our Peeps in Egypt. We all truly enjoyed each other's company. Eric and Dana invited us next year.

Oh yeah --Simba, the Puggle, had a starring role. Eric hugged him, and during a song featuring a dog, Josh made sure he sang, too.

Wifey remarked "Eric sure loves that dog!" I recalled Marvin.

Eric beamed the same way...

No comments: