Saturday, November 13, 2010

Last Day of School...

Well, yesterday was effectively IT for me as a practicing lawyer. My office is cleaned out, and my only footprint (tuches-print?) is my computer and a chair moved to the conference room.

My friend Stuart moved in his operation last night, and called me at 7 to sayt he was celebrating with 2 fingers of 12 year old Macallan he found in our liquor cabinet. I told him we'll toast, all of us, on Monday evening. All of us is Stuart, Paul, and Brian, who will be taking over with Stuart.

Mirta says she feels like crying. Not me. I've planned for this day for a long while, and I'm strangely emotion free. I guess it's because I haven't really EVER wanted to be a lawyer, and 24 years of a profession that's not a calling is more than plenty...

Last night, Wifey hosted a "jewelry happy hour" as part of her new plan to avoid getting a job. She's set up a studio, and asked me to pour wine for the ladies of her circle who come by to shop.

I did, and one of the neighbors, Ellen, came back with her husband Evan, a long time County Attorney. Evan had heard the news of my career change, realized we're the same age, and said "Hey --it's not fair you get to retire this young!"

The truth is, after his nearly 25 years at the County, he could retire soon, too, with a much nicer guarenteed pension than I'll ever have. But, he's got 3 kids to put through college, and his oldest is at an expensive private one in NC, so he's looking forward to at least 10 more years riding the Metrorail to his office, and making life hell for Plaintiffs who bring claims against the County...

My partner Paul is still in denial. He insists on telling everyone that "everything is the same", so that we'll continue to get referrals and make money. I hope the cases still come in, of course, but I've planned on that NOT happening.

So, for next week, I have some bank business on Monday, and then Tuesday, our rabbi friend is coming in to have lunch and to "bless the future firm." Brian asked me how much the blessing is going to cost him! Good question.

Of course, the Rabbi, more savvy than just about anyone I know, will tell Brian and Stuart that our firm's success is directly tied to the very generous support we gave to his operation. He used to tell us that when you make God a partner, by pledging support based upon your business's success, then God will make sure you succeed.

I marvel at the stuff they get from Chabad Headquarters in Brooklyn. On the other hand, as Tevye would say, we DID in fact soar with our generous contributions.

It'll be Stuart's and Brian's call now. Maybe they could start a NEW experiment: seeing whether success correlates to more money paid to strip clubs...

All I know is, I ain't making no choices about my future, no how, not now. I figure the transition will take until late Spring or Summer, and then maybe I'll have an epiphany.

I'm keeping my mediator certification current. I told my neighbor Charley, a true foot soldier in the war on Defendants, that I may mediate full time. His response: "EVERYONE'S a mediator now." He's right, of course, as were the naysayers who told me in 1983 that there were far too many lawyers, and I'd never make a living as one, and why waste my time with 3 years of law school, and studying for the Bar exam...

So I'll see. All I know is, I have no office to go to for the first time since 1985. No --make that 1984, when UM's English Department gave me a cubicle to see students I was teaching in Freshman Composition.

Stuart and Brian are awaiting Paul's onslaught, as he oversees the new operation as a Director. Paul still has it in the lawyer department, and much of what he will "deem so" will actually benefit the 2 new players. We'll see...

I'll be available to strategize, and direct our discussions to analyses of human nature --the only thing that truly interests me. In other words, as Dr. Barry would say, towards bullshit...

So, for today, I'm heading over to Norman's, whose career is still ascending. He just picked up, at least partially thanks to some of my efforts, I must humbly say, a MAJOR new client. We're going to watch the confounding Canes, who tease us with talent, and then blow games because of bad coaching.

Norman has stone crabs and shrimp, and a wife-less house, as Deb is in her native Canada for the weekend.

As for the career thing --that can wait until later...

No comments: