Sunday, November 21, 2010

Instability in Calm Weather

The Hurricane Season has passed. It's still too damn warm, but at least the nights we've been able to sleep a/c free. The other Hurricane season, involving my beloved football team, is ALSO essentially over. They blew a game yesterday. The only way they'll ever return to elite status is with a new coach, and that won't happen for a long time...

Strangely, the stable weather has seen a lot of marital instability among my friends. Two husbands of longtime marriages (22 and 8 years) have moved out. More, I think, are on the way. I guess it's classic: as the kids become adults, there isn't a lot to keep folks together.

I remember this happened among my childhood friends. Divorce was completely unknown to my working class corner of Long Island. I think I knew exactly one kid from a "broken home," as it used to be called.

Within 2 years of high school graduation, the wives started bailing faster than rats off a sinking ship. And, interestingly, it was always the wives who seemed to be the ones fed up with the disinterested, heavy drinking husbands.

So it'll be niteresting to see how things pan out for my 2 buddies. I have a feeling everyone will survive, some divorce lawyers will make some money, and life will go on.

Hell --Friday night, while I was at the Patti Smith lecture, I got a text from Wifey. She was at her friend Cara's on Miami Beach, and was too tired to drive home, even though at that time of night, we're talking 25 minutes. So, she stayed over there.

This was the first time in our nearly 24 year marriage either of us slept out within Miami Dade County. So maybe I'll be moving in soon with one of my 2 separated buddies --who knows?

Dylan sang that you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...

Back to the Canes... for the first time in 31 years, yesterday I entertained thoughts of possibly not renewing my season tickets. And it's not because of the losing record.

A big part of the joy for me is the togetherness at the games. And yet, we're all now in different places in life. Dr. Eric had a lovely tailgate, but he still has a teenager attending. Dr. Barry's boys are in Middle School.

I took my friend Joel to the game, but his boys were in a little league game, so I drove up to the stadium myself.

Last year, I had the pleasure of going with D2, but she'll be in Gainesville for 3 more years. D1 will go to, at most, one game.

Wifey stopped going years ago, and now, as I mentioned, she's looking into moving to Miami Beach.

I'm starting to think I might as well watch the games on TV...

So I'll see...

Stable weather, unstable hurricanes...

No comments: