Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Company Store

So the Ds and I have been after Wifey to get a job. D2 has been independent for over 2 years now, so Wifey's daily mothering duties have dwindled to advice about matters of the heart, clothing, etc...

Wifey, who calls ME the passive aggressive, has resisted heroically. Instead, she took up a curious habit of staying up late, researching and shopping online. Each day the mail would bring some article of clothing or trinket, that was "needed" for a future gift, or one of the Ds, or something...

I grew annoyed at this, especially since my days as a high paid lawyer are ending. Plus, I've developed new symptoms of Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, in the form of hating clutter, and Wifey's piles of tchokes and clothing aggravated my condition.

Well, it turns out she was in training for a new business.

A few weeks ago, she traveled to the Merchandise Mart, and bought a pile of really good looking costume jewelry. She set up a display, first in our dining room, and later moved to her new office/gym upstairs. She invited friends. Business has been booming.

Last night, her friends Lori, Libby, Jody, and Lori's daughter Courtney came over. I assumed the role of jewelry concierge, and poured them white wine. They went upstairs, laughed, and bought jewelry.

When they left, Wifey recorded everything on her computer database. She in bid-ness.

Additionally, she has plans for another project. Wifey finds stuff online for absurdly low prices. She's done this as a favor for friends for years.

I became a believer in her skills 2 years ago. We needed a new refrigerator, and we had one of those absurdly expensive built in models. Brands Mart sold it for nearly %5000. I told Wifey I'd find one online cheaper, and after 2 hours of searching, found a company in Wisconsin that would sell and ship the same model for $3500. I was proud of myself.

Not so fast, said WifeySaves.com! She found a much better deal --closer to $2500. And, she learned that Brandsmart would meet online prices, so we strolled into the store and got our fridge for half price. Even the salesman was impressed. He said, in a Spanish accent "Wow --I never see it thees low!"

So now, Wifey's going to start an online shopping service, in which customers come to her with the price they're going to pay for an article of clothing, jewelry, appliance, etc... and Wifey will charge a fee based on how much she saves them.

She's a prodigious researcher. She'd have been a wonderful librarian in another time. Now she plans to become the next web master!

I'm proud of her, and happy for her. Selfishly, of course, I'd much rather see a net INflow of money instead of OUTflow. Plus, it's healthy for her to be productive.

This is especially so as I am in my final week of law practice. On Monday, my friend Stuart takes over our office, and Paul and I become, as he prefers to call it, a "Board of Directors."

I plan to nurture my inner lazy bastard, at least for awhile...

I rather like the idea of my wife earning some money while I fan myself...

Go Wifey! I'll pour the wine and tote the packages.

No comments: