Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sports Page

Wifey and I took D2 up to Gainesville for "Preview," the 2 day college orientation for new Gators and their families. I went through this 4 years ago; Wifey stayed home with D2, who was just about to enter high school.

I have a problem with the whole concept of parents having to do these things. I know it's a product of the helicopter parents of this generation, but to me it
s another example of the infantilization of the college process.

ALL I hear at social gatherings is where Jason is going, and if Ashley's mother wants her at a particular place. These are not real names, by the way. They're real names, but not referring to actual people. Except Jason...

Anyway --Wifey enjoyed the program, and I was bored. D2 was bored, too, but at least she got to register for classes and get her photo ID and computer account.

I keep remembering MY going off to college experience. My Dad handed me a $20, and said "Remember to use condoms, and don't fall in love and quit college." The rest I had to figure out, without skits about date rape, or dealing with gay roommates...

Anyway...D1 met us in Gainesville with Thomas, and on Thursday night, while D2 was experiencing some sort of preview of dorms (OK, ANOTHER annoying thing. The housing Director told us not to use "dormitory" as it's "too limiting." He makes people say "residence halls. So of course I'm always going to call them dorms) we headed to Mother's Pub on University to watch the Lebron James announcement.

On a full hour documentary, he told the world he had chosen to play for the Miami Heat. Big deal. I mean, I guess I like the Heat more than other NBA teams, but this announcement dominated the press and radio and tv like it was the Obama election.

The TRULY big news was Seantrel Henderson, and this got one paragraph in the Herald. He's the top high school recruit, he's 6' 8" and 350 lbs, and is the best offensive lineman in America. And, after USC got hit with sanctions and let him out of his commitment --is coming to UM!!!

Now THAT's news.

Although college sports are corrupt, to me they're the only ones worth watching. The players are struggling to get to the next level, and they actually have to listen to the coaches. I can relate to them. They walk where I used to walk (around Lake Osceola, and to the Wendy's on S Dixie HWY and Red Road).

There's more purity to that level of competition.

Plus, my closest friends and I have countless great memories of watching the Canes together. That team is part of me.

So --it'll be nice to watch the Heat win. Bringing a championship to a city lifts everyone's spirits. People who've never even driven past the AAA will claim to be Heat fans.

My girls love the Heat games. We went to a few as guests of my banker, and they had a blast. They loved to watch D Wade play, and be part of the Paris quality fashion show that exists at the AAA.

Not me. Although I miss the OB, a Canes game, decidedly less glamorous, even in our Club Seats, is where it's at.

In any event, I have worse sports related issues to worry about. D2 has been telling me, subtly, but more and more as the Fall semester approaches, that she's going to be a Gator fan. Now THAT'S a problem...

No comments: