Sunday, July 4, 2010

Can't Get Away From the 352

I visited Gainesville for the first time in 1982. My college friends and I drove up for a Canes/Gators game. We stayed with some girls my friend Mark knew from S Florida, and we ate huge omelettes at Skeeters. The Canes lost, when Jim Kelly thew a late interception. I didn't much like Gainesville.

I visited for some more football games, and even a baseball game or 2. I grew to like the place a bit more, but it was far too boring for my taste.

Around 1991 or so, I spent 2 weeks there. My boss Frank had a medical malpractice case against a UF doctor. At jury selection, about 90% of the venire panel said they worked for UF. Frank asked the judge for a new panel. Frank was an 8 year Gator, himself. The judge was fair and nice, but explained to Frank that finding a panel in Alachua County that WASN'T mostly UF connected wasn't going to happen. Frank lost his case --one I never thought was strong, anyway.

The cool part for me was chatting with the judge, whose son was Tom Petty's keyboard player. I was a big Petty fan; still am.

We stayed at the Hilton at Biven's Arm, now a PAramount hotel. Frank's secretary was there with us for 2 weeks, in her own room. She's now Frank's live in girlfriend, following the secretary's and Frank's divorces. Was romance budding then?

Then D1 chose UF, and I began 4 years of Gainesville visits. Yawn. D1 had a great time, got a decent education and made terrific friends. Gainesville, as a destination, got real old for me.

Last night, D2 was online, preparing for HER UF adventure. We go up Wednesday for "Preview," the UF new student orientation. We'll stay 2 nights, and then drive D1 home. Her boyfriend will drive her from Jacksonville to UF to meet us.

So, here comes anouther 4 years of Gainesville.

I really can't complain. D2, like her sister, will attend college on a full scholarship, and, with the Prepaid Plan I bought, even most of her dorm fees will be covered.

I've felt for a long time that paying private college tuition these days is a fool's errand, and recent NY Times articles have backed me up, calling the whole affair an "Education Bubble."

So, my long car rides will give me 4 more years of chuckling at my friends as they write $50K per year checks to private colleges, just for tuition!

Worse off are the kids who take loans, and graduate with mortgage sized debt, and try to pay it off with $30K per year jobs.

My friends David and Maureen are converts. Their first born went to NYU, and they recently paid off her student loans for her. Their second child is at UF, and they see the wisdom in that.

And, David, a gourmand, have me a list of terrific bed and breakfasts all around Gainesville, so Wifey and I can break up the typical Country Inn and Suites or Cabot Lodge doldrums.

So, for Gainesville and me, it's like winning re-election: 4 more years! And now they have Starbucks at the Turnpike rest stops...

No comments: