Saturday, July 3, 2010

Break From the Heat

Finally it's not oppressive this am. It rained so hard last night, and it's overcast now. If the heat didn't subside, I was ready to relocate to North Carolina for the summer.

We know so many folks who do that. The old joke is that there are more Dade County license tags in August in Asheville than there are NC ones.

Ah, Asheville. Wifey and I love it there. Crappy weather in the winter, but the summer is lovely, as is the Fall. It's a town we could see living in. Cosmopolitan, but small. Terrific restaurants. Plenty going on all the time. A wonderful vibe.

We'd buy passes to the Vanderbilt Estate, and go all the time. It's probably our favorite "old mansion." And the air would be cooler...

Nah --we'll always stay in the 305. But the summer heat does bring those thoughts to the fore...

This morning I met my old friend Vince for breakfast. We always have a great time --talking about our college days, and how we're aging so gracefully. Ha!

A former acquaintance came by. He started a new business where he provides tows for motorcycles for $99 per year. Poor Vince -- before he knew it, he succumbed to the high pressure sales, and gave up his credit card.

Luckily, our bill came, and I announced that to thank me for the referral, the budding business magnate would buy us breakfast. The bill was $30, so at least I got Vince a 30 % discount. He was fine with the whole affair, but I was annoyed.

I can't stand it when someone takes advantage of another, even with the victim's consent.

I bet this sort of thing doesn't happen in Asheville...

No comments: