Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay

Last week I had lunch with Bob, my old investigator, now retired. I asked him what he did, now that he wasn't working. His terrific reply: "Not a damn thing, and it takes me all day to do it!"

That describes this Thursday for me. I have absolutely nothing going on at the office, so it seemed silly to drive Downtown.

D1's puppy woke me at 4, and I couldn't get back to sleep, so I went downstairs to greet D1, just coming in! She and some friends went to Viv, "The" club on Miami Beach, and had a fine girls' night out, it seems. As we were chatting, we got a big "shush!" from D2, trying to sleep in the next room. At least ONE member of this family still has to be somewhere early in the day!

I went back to sleep, and woke up to see a turgid Basset Hound. Poor thing --she was moving slower than usual, and that's saying something! I think she has a bug of some type, or maybe some arthritis. She refuses to say...

Then my friend John called, asking if the Ds and I could have dinner with him and his daughter, to try to sell her on UF. Poor girl --her Mom died of melanoma 2 years ago, and I know it can't be easy for a teenaged girl to lose her mom. John'd doing a heroic job, and his girl is doing well at school. I told him D1 and I would meet them at 6 (D2 is going to a play). That sealed it --it was fated that I stay home today!

Wifey went to the YMCA, and met her dramatic friend Maureen, our doctor's wife. Wifey threw up yesterday for the first time since she was 14. Maureen told her to IMMEDIATELY get her blood drawn, because "it sounds like you might have been poisoned!!!!"

Well, I guess if I get charged with attempted First Degree Murder --that'll give me something to do. And, my office roommate, a crack criminal defense guy, is back from Africa, where he shot Horton the elephant. So I got that going for me...

So --just waiting for the mail to arrive. I remember that was a major part of my Dad's routine when he retired, even though there was rarely anything of importance. He and his friend Sam would take turns walking to the building mail boxes, and use semiphore to signal each other whether the mail was in...

I'm giving it until the end of this year, and then, with D2 away at college, and D1 esconced in Graduate School, I really must find something worthwhile to do.

Or better --Wifey can go to work. If she survives the attempts on her life...

No comments: