Friday, May 7, 2010

Breakfast Meetings

Most folks like to meet friends for dinner or drinks. My favorite time to meet is breakfast.

I guess since college I've been that most annoying of all types of human --the morning person. I used to wake up very happy, and would actually walk around my apartment whistling or snapping my fingers. One morning, Dr. Barry --the opposite of a morning person, grabbed me and held me up against a wall, and said, in a controlled but sinister voice, that if I didn't quit the finger snapping, he'd kill me.

He's now assistant Chair of Pediatrics at UM, and cares for critically injured children.

SO I love the mornings, and meeting for breakfast.

Today I was supposed to meet my friend, but I knew it wouldn't go forward. We always plan to meet for coffee, and though he's been unemployed for 15 years, something always comes up. Today it was a sick child.

I quit inviting him out last year, until Wifey told me "how much it means to him" that I keep asking, even though we rarely make it to the actual coffee drinking stage of the procedure. So I call, and we set a date, and it doesn't happen.

Today it was just as well --I got to make breakfast for D1, her beloved "Daddy eggs," and we chatted happily, my granddog on her lap.

Tomorrow am I have plans to meet Vince, another old college friend. He never cancels, but rarely has the time to get together. He's on wife number 3, and this one, the best, came with 2 daughters and a sick mother, and Vince always seems pulled to do something for one of them, along with his own 2 kids.

He loves and adores his new family, as well as his two biological kids, and he's far more of a father to his stepgirls than their own Dad is. But any weekend we try to make plans, he has to shuttle one or the other. Hopefully tomorrow he'll get to enjoy a free Saturday morning.

Not me --I have loads of free time, especially in the morning. Our caseload at the firm is laughably low, so there are virtually no hearings in court. The Ds have been self sufficient for years.

Maybe I need to develop a new crop of morning buddies...

No comments: