Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nobody Wishes Me a Happy Mother's Day

I got in the mood for today's holiday on Friday. I called Bob, my law firm's investigator. He's a terrific hardboiled guy, retired FHP Trooper, born and raised in NYC. He's half Irish and half Italian (a "mixed marriage" when his parents got hitched).

Bob married a Filipina years ago, and, after a financial windfall, decided to retire to her native land, to live like a king. It lasted 3 months. Apparently his in laws decided THEY should live like kings, too, with their American relative's money. And, I think the third world annoyances grew too much for Bob.

Luckily, he and his wife kept their PEmbroke Pines townhouse, so repatriating wasn't too big of a deal.

Anyway --Bob wished me an early Happy Mother's Day, since, as he said, "Dave --the truth is, you are a MOTHER F####R just like I am!" I'm meeting him for lunch tomorrow, and look forward to hearing his tales of the South Pacific.

As for the ACTUAL mother's in my life: we're heading to my in laws to take them to lunch. Last year, we visited my mother, and then made it a double header by visiting Wifey's on the same day. I've decided this year that two octos plus a nono are too much for me to take. We sent flowers to my mom, and I'll see her during the week,

Fortunately, my sister and brother in law are back from a vacation, and they'll take her out today. My in laws await Wifey, D2, and me. D1 is cruising in the Bahamas with some friends, and she gets a pass.

As for MY baby momma, I toasted her 1/2 a bagel, made a fruit salad, and brewed her weak, overly sweet coffee, and brought them to her in bed, with the Sunday Times. "No, PLEASE," she said, "I need MORE SLEEP!" I left the Mother's Day bounty for her, and she woke up later and ate it.

So, all mothers are, for now, present and accounted for. And this motherf####r is off to read the Sunday Times himself.

No comments: