Friday, December 18, 2009

Well It's A Rainy Night in Florida

I picked an EXCELLENT day to keep away from the office today, as it rained like it was Summer. No lightning or thunder, but sheets and sheets of water flooded the streets. Hopefully the long awaited cool weather is on its way.

I took D2 to a pulmonologist to check on a couple month cough. He gave us the good news that it's not asthma or pneumonia, but probably just a sinus infection. I told Dr. Barry about it, and he scoffed at the non academic's prescribing of antibiotics --thinking the thing will probably go away on its own, and community doctors over prescribe antibiotics, etc... He's such a medical snob!

D1's friend Hannah came over, and regaled us with tales of her semester in Chile. Hannah's an incredibly cool Stanford junior -- brilliant, charming, and funny. She's also self deprecating --she has As in Organic Chem --and doesn't even mention her accomplishments unless D1 pulls them out of her like teeth. Hannah enjoyed her time away, but is thrilled to come back home.

So --another uneventful day in the 305 --just the way I like it!

Tomorrow night we have a Holiday party at my friend/office roommate Joel's house in the Grove. He lives in a 1920 house which was originally built by a Grove pioneer family, and then added to over the years. He and his wife Courtney know how to throw a party --last year's was the best holiday party I've ever been to. Things got a bit out of hand with the wife of one guest and Joel's "idiot cousin," as he calls him, and several people drank more than they ever had before.

I think this year will be a bit more tame, but it still ought to be a good time. D1 is going, but not D2. The teen's reason for staying home? "I don't particularly want to go watch 40 year olds snort lines of cocaine." I don't, either...

The cruise looms on the horizon. If it's 1/10 as much fun as last year's, it'll be great. The great thing about cruising with a group is that you can all choose to be together, or escape to quiet parts of the ship, as the mood strikes.

I'm thinking I'll get through 2 or 3 books, and probably gain back some of the weight I've been losing. What more could one ask for?

No comments: