Sunday, December 20, 2009

Anchors Aweigh

I guess I need to pack for tomorrow's trip, but the cool weather and a slight hangover from last night's party are fueling world class procrastination. Plus, the Dolphins were on TV today, and had a spectacular 4th quarter comeback, only to suffer an even more spectacular choke in overtime.

Last year we went on a cruise with Dr. Eric and his family, and had a great time. We decided to do it again this year, and added Dr. Barry and HIS family, too. Wifey then went a bit nuts, and invited her friend Edna and her family, and our neighbor/friends Diane and Charlie. Somehow our group is now up to 19. And, my friend Lauren from Atlanta, coincidentally, is ALSO on the cruise, with her husband and 4 kids. Watch out, Celebrity Cruises.

My partner Paul tried to grind me about the trip, as Paul is wont to do, saying that I'm responsible for everyone's good time. Ha! As if!

If I've learned anything in life, it's that I'm responsible for the happiness of precisely one person, and he's the fool typing this blog.

Still, I do look forward to spending some quality time with Wifey, my Ds, and some of our closest friends.

The only thing I sort of want to do is visit the newly renovated Truman White House in Key West. I've been there twice, and it's just undergone a major renovation.

Other than that, I plan my typical vacation itinerary: planning almost nothing. I've been around the world, and learned that I rarely savor or remember the museums, historic sites, etc... I remember the people I'm with , and how they enjoy the experiences we share.

Wifey just put together a Facebook album on some of our vacations. As I look at the photos, I remember the jokes, and mishaps. The St. Petersburgh Winter Palace might as well be the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. They're both old houses where rich folks lived. But I'll always remember a family we met on the Baltic cruise, and their little girl who, after hearing the tour guide go on about Peter and Catherine, screwed up her face in disappointment at never seeing "Peter the Grape."

So --hopefully there'll be some memories like that we'll all take away from this little ship ride.

Ahoy!

No comments: