Saturday, December 12, 2009

See Ya, Jack

A terrific man, Jack Hartley, died yesterday. He had just turned 78.

Wifey and I met him through Cara, his wife of a few years and companion of over 20. Cara and Wifey were co workers in the flower business, and she met Jack around the time I met Wifey.

Jack was from old Miami Beach --Beach High, U Florida, the whole bit. He was married to ANOTHER Cara, and had 2 kids, who are now near my age. He divorced Cara #1, and lived the life of quite the bachelor in late 70s/early 80s Miami, with a cast of characters right out of a Carl Hiassen novel. I loved the tales he used to tell. Private planes to the Bahamas, stuff that looked like talcolm powder but wasn't --heady times indeed.

He met Cara, 15 years his junior, and called her "Bugs," because of how she used to bug him. Somehow their mutual bugging turned into a strong and lasting love --it was a joy to be around them.

Though Jack was old enough to be our father, he was mentally a very young man. He thought young, and acted young. I never felt like a "son" around him --he always wanted to hear my tales of the law business, even though his contemporaries were the giants of the Miami legal community.

Wifey and I would meet Jack and Cara for dinner, and the nights were precious. Cara and I would drink a few vodkas, and then the 4 of us would regale each other with tales and jokes. I never saw Jack and Cara argue --they truly adored each other --and that love spilled over to all of those around them.

When Wifey and I were first dating, I used to call her my "Reason for Living." Jack LOVED that! Whenever he'd call, to talk about life or to ask about my pond fish and turtles (he WAS the pondmeister at his condo), he'd say, in his happy way "And HOW is your reason for living?"

I'll miss most our dinners at Joe's. Jack and Cara were old friends of Roy, the famous Joe's host, and it was always a kick to go there on a Saturday night in the "season" and be rushed to our table, in front of people waiting for 3 hours. One time I remember being taken ahead of Shaquille O'Neill! They then became friends with the subsequent hosts, and enjoyed the same treatment.

Jack didn't have a good death. He ended up in the ICU at Mt. Sinai after surgical complications, and stayed for months. Wifey visited several times, but I only went once. I truly didn't want to see Jack in the state OPPOSITE his natural way: full of life.

We did go last Saturday, his 78th birthday, and I promised him I wasn't visiting him in the hospital any more. I wanted another fun and enchanting dinner together.

Well, I won't have that, but at least I know our friend is resting.

Wifey was balling yesterday before she went to go be with Cara. I wasn't. I was sad, but also happy to have known a man who so well lived his life. He was rich in friends and laughter. He deeply loved, and was deeply loved by, the woman of his dreams.

So --rest peacefully, Jack. If there's a heareafter, I hope you've already run into one Hy Auslander, and are debating whether to have corned beef sandwiches or stone crabs (my Dad HATED seafood). And --hopefully not for awhile-- but save a seat at the table for me. I'll have half a sandwich, on rye, of course, and an order of the jumbos. I know you'll get us to the front of the line.

No comments: