Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The More You "Work With People"

In his wonderful "Speech to Graduates," Dave Barry observed that most of the neophytes want to "work with people" in their careers. He noted that the more they "work with people," the more they will grow to "hate" people. How true!

A few months ago I got a call from an acquaintance, a fellow who hits me up from time to time for free legal advice. He was having a personal dispute with another family, involving one of his children. He needed a criminal lawyer, and one to sue the other family. I referred him to both.

After the hearing on the criminal matter, he called me to profusely thank me for the referral. Then he got the bill from the lawyer, and called me again to complain. I told him to take it up with the other lawyer.

I also referred him to a friend of mine for the civil part of his issue. My friend agreed to take the case, and send a claim letter to the other family.

Since it was a small matter, the letter didn't go out for 7 weeks.

The "client" called today, furious that my friend sent the claim. Apparently, all of the differences were settled, and the "victims" no longer wished to sue.

This idiot was angry that the civil lawyer sent a letter, since it was now embarrasing in light of all the touchy, feely developments. He implied that my friend had done damage to him!

I profusely apologized to my friend for bringing this bastard into his life.

MAybe I learned my lesson once again: no good deed goes unpunished. The bigger lesson: Dave Barry's wisdom endures.

No comments: