Sunday, March 2, 2008

Negative Nancy

So the Cardiologist called yesterday with an extra ticket to the Canes/UVa game. I accepted.

I met him and his delightful young son at JJ's Diner, in its second incarnation where the old Howard Johnsons used to be. My friends and I always got a kick out of the old HoJos, and not because of their food. Our Chinese roommate used to meet his friends there, to discuss politics late into the night. When we asked him where he was, he'd reply "Spent much time at Howards Johnston."

Anyway, after lunch we headed over to the U, and took our seats. The game was delayed, because of a problem with one of the rims. From the row behind me, I heard a woman's loud voice, in a flat Midwestern accent, say "Typical of the University of Miami! They can't do anything right. Whenever they build something, it's shoddy." I figured she must be an angry Virginia fan, and ignored her.

The PA announcer said that because of the delay, there'd be no singing of the National Anthem, or pre game intorductions. The voice started again "You see --they can't even figure out to sing the song while we wait. they're so inept."

At this point, I turned around to see the source of this malcontention. She was an ENORMOUS woman, talking to her 2 kids. "Boy," I said, you really don't like the U, huh?" She repilied "I went here for law school, but UVA for college. I'd NEVER cheer for UM."

The game was played, and the angry fan had a comment for everything. She was a surprisingly knowledgeable fan. She didn't really yell, but something about the timbre of her voice was annoyingly penetrating.

After her team took the lead, and she made fun of the Canes's defense, my friend turned to me and said "She might hate the law school, but apparently they fed her ok while she was here."

In the end, the Canes won in exciting fashion --a 3 pointer with a few seconds left sealed the victory. I looked behind me to see the Negative Nancy. She had left.

Today Wifey and I are off to a benefit for an Israeli Arts School, at the home of my old English professor. They're bringing a 16 year old pianist (not a nine inch one) from the school.

Ah, weekends...

No comments: