Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Election

So D2 has decided to run for Vice President of her high school class. She's doing this partly because she really is an involved and concerned student, who happens to be popular, but partly to have the sort of "leadership" credibility she thinks colleges look for in deciding whether to accept you.

This college acceptance thing has really gotten out of hand. D2 has above a 4.0, will do fine, I'm sure, on her SATs, is very involved in school and community service (she's volunteered hundreds of hours to help sick children), but is still afraid of college rejection. It's a far cry from my days, where, with the exception of SOME Ivy League schools (back then Penn was considered an easy admit) a good student had the upper hand.

Anyway --D2 made posters and bought 100 lollipops last night, piercing their stems with a "Vote D2" card. I told her MY idea for a campaign poster: a picture of our sad eyed Bassett Hound with a pistol held to her head, and a caption reading "Vote D2 or the Puppy Gets It." D2 opted instead for a more traditional strategy.

So, in the midst of the heavy campaign, the poor girl gets sick with a cold. She was coughing and shivering this am, and struggling to get her campaign materials into the car, so I dressed in 5 minutes and went with her to school.

I had a deja vu --arriving on a high school campus before classes begin. I guess I must have done some school activities back in Levittown in the 70s that required early arrival --and I clearly remembered the same atmosphere.

I helped D2 tape up a few posters. Some of the kids who were there early for detention, I guess, smiled and said "Girl --you got MY vote!" I gave them lollipops in anticipation of their help.

So, a little over 2 years of high school left, and then Wifey and I are bona fide empty nesters. Again, this time thing evades me. I was JUST in high school myself, and somehow my youngest is now over halfway done. I'd better check my watch...

No comments: