Tuesday, September 1, 2026

30,000 lbs of DAY-O

 Ah, married life of nearly 4 decades. I know I am insufferable, but when I mess up, I apologize, laugh about it, and, if it causes any consequences, immediately do whatever is needed to fix it. Not "everyone" accepts fault the same way.

"Some people" find it VERY hard to admit messing up, and apologies are rarely true apologies. They are typically "Sorry...BUT..." followed by reasons for the screw up -- OTHERS screwed up more, etc...

Well today there was a very comical incident. I typically order our groceries via the Publix Instacart APP, and it's easy peasy, and almost always accurate. Someone else, whose name is not to be mentioned, is annoyed by the higher cost, on account of, I guess, we used to be poor.

Anyway, we typically order 7 bananas per week. Today, as I schlepped in the bags, I noticed something awry. Instead of 7 bananas, they delivered 7 BUNCHES. It's as if we were running the monkey exhibit at ZooMiami. I dutifully schlepped them in.

The person who lives here other than I was first to figure it out. Now -- these are bananas, not steaks or even expensive other items. But after laughing about it, I was banned from discussing bananas any more. I mean -- don't I screw up??????!!!!!!

So I took the high, mature, route and went right to the Sonos. I played a favorite song from my Junior High days: Harry Chapin's "30,000 lbs of Bananas." It is a semi fictional tale about a semi crash in Scranton, PA, and became a signature at Harry's concerts.

Boy, did I love Harry Chapin -- his poetry and fun music. When "Cat's in the Cradle" came out (same album as the banana song) I played it for me Dad, and he was horrified. "Am I like that???" I guffawed -- no -- my Dad was the opposite -- he came to Little League practices for me, along with games. He was ALWAYS there for me. But it was a cool song and once Dad knew I was doing a little music education, instead of messaging, he loved it, too.

I saw Harry play first at my high school  Geraldo Rivera used to be an ace investigative reporter, and he did an expose on abuses at a local mental hospital. Somehow a MacArthur teacher knew him, and they held a benefit concert at my school to raise money for the poor inmates -- Harry was the lead act. I still recall the show -- probably 1976 or so.

Fast forward to April or May of 1980 -- freshman year at UM. He played the patio, and I was in a great mood -- I had gotten an A on a big Biology 111 test -- had it with me. After the show, I asked him to sign it. "Harry -- I'm a Long Island guy -- would you sign my test?" I recall his response. "Sure, but how about kicking in a buck, literally, since I know you're in college, for the Hunger charity here in Miami?" I sported out -- tossed in a Fiver, and he signed the test and we shook hands. A little over a year later, he died -- on Long Island, on his way to another charity show at Eisenhower Park.

Harry was really the pioneer of the big charity music shows -- everyone knows he sort of inspired Live Aid and Farm Aid. What a loss.

Anyway, we now have LOTS of bananas to give away. Luckily they're green. We'll bring some for the Ds Friday, and maybe she who must not be named can give away some bunches to her mah jong friends tonight. Jeff is back from Connecticut -- maybe I can offload a few bunches on him and his girl Samantha, who lives at home.

As for me? I have to get back to Sonos. Guessing some Soupy Sales and Harry Belafonte will be played this afternoon.

If I am found dead, and bananas are inserted rectally and orally -- my family will know what happened.


No comments: