Sunday, June 30, 2024

What Did I Do to Deserve?

 So Friday night we hosted Diane and her little dog, a Havanese. Great to see Diane, and I dig dogs, but this little one only pees and poops on a pad. So I was a bit taken aback to have a strange dog relieving itself in my house -- usually on the pad, but with a few small errant droppings. Yeah -- even Wifey who LOVES dogs agreed -- maybe that will be the last visit from the little pooch.

But there were no human accidents, and the three of us had a lovely dinner at a local steakhouse. Saturday am my nephew from another mister called -- he was in the Grove, and did we feel like company? I did, and had him fetch some bagels and nova from Roasters on his way over, which he did.

We were joined by Wifey and Diane and had a lovely brunch, as I kept the coffee coming. Diane left around noon for some errands on her way back to Delray, and Josh stayed -- we took a stroller walk with the Special Needs Spaniel, and talked of life.

I told him we had dinner plans with Paul and Patrticia, and Paul asked me to include Josh's parents, but I knew no way Barry wanted to drive back to Miami on a weekend for that -- he has come to really despise his commutes. Josh suggested I ask anyway, and Donna immediately agreed -- we would meet in Doral at a place called Basilico, owned by Argentines.

Barry and Donna's presence was kept a surprise, and Paul and Patrica loved it when they saw them there -- we got a lovely round table and had a great dinner.

Of course, we talked of human nature, and the nature of marriages, and when it was my turn to contribute, asked rhetorically what it was I did to deserve Wifey?

She wondered if I meant it sardonically, like Peter Boyle's character used to speak in "Everybody Loves Raymond,"or if I was truly awed at how lucky I was to have her.

Ha. I left it for her to decide...

Meanwhile, the weekend fun continues. Today is Jonathan's 32nd, and he and D2 are hosting his family later for cake. D1 and Joey were there last night with some friends for another great get together.

Our plan is to spend a bit of grandson time, and then pop into Miami Shores to sing Happy Birthday, and then retreat to the quiet of Pinecrest.

We already have a birthday dinner planned NEXT Saturday -- smack between Jonathan's and my birthday.

Wifey and I were discussing our Ds' life partners, and how much we appreciate them. Joey is the most amazing father to our grandsons I could have imagined -- he makes my over-protectiveness seem minor league.

Barry noticed that in each video, Little Man, now 4.5, is always wearing long PJs - I told him it was Joey's doing. Barry figures at college the Little Man can finally shed the warm clothing...

So it was a great weekend, and more to come.

And the truth is, Wifey knows that, despite the ball and chain jokes, I AM fortunate and blessed to have her, and together build a life far grander than either of us could have dreamed for.

Age creeps in, as I am reminded as tomorrow I need to schedule my PT to deal with my "Old Man's Neck," as Barry calls it.

And that's ok -- just part of the human process.

I guess I could ask the Big Man why I have pain and decrepitude? Nah -- He knows I ask why indeed I am so fortunate and blessed.

No comments: