Friday, May 31, 2024

Finally A Dry Night!!!!

 I enjoy drinking, but know I'm not an alcoholic. After a few consecutive nights or days of imbibing -- I've had enough. I used to joke that one of my life goals, like seeing a game in every MLB stadium (that one died decades ago) was to go to Key West and stay drunk 3 days straight. Wifey knew that after the first afternoon/evening -- I would be done. She was correct.

I also never drink alone. To me, ETOH is a social thing, and it's extremely rare I pour a cocktail home alone. I don't think there's a thing wrong with anyone who does, but not for me.

Well -- finally -- tonight is my first dry one in a week. I have been a victim of circumstance, like Curly of the Three Stooges!

Sunday D1 and family were over, and Joey and I enjoyed martinis. Monday night, Wifey's friend Ronni was over -- she pointed out it was Memorial Day and we should order in Shorty's barbecue, which we did, and also she wanted 2 of my cosmos.

They're not really mine -- they're premixed Ketel One cosmos I discovered before last T Day, and women, in particular, seem to love them. As Ronni downed her 2, I had a few regular Stoli martinis.

Tuesday I planned to go dry -- just meet Dr. Barry for brunch -- but again circumstances led us to D2's afternoon sun dappled house for a Maker's for him, a Tito's for me, and a glass of wine for D2.

Ok -- Wednesday I would get my break -- until I didn't! Wifey invited Lili and her friend Debbie over for a short handed Mah Jonng evening. Out came the pre mixed cosmos, and I couldn't embarrass my guests by not joining them! They had a blast.

Ah -- finally -- Thursday -- no plans other than fetching Baby Man at his pre school and taking him for early dinner at Big Apple Deli in North Miami. It was lovely -- and then we drove him home as he and his big brother swam. I was SO tired, and Waze said the drive home was only 1 hour and 9 minutes, we left, around 5. I planned to get home and veg, as they say.

But then, right as I was stuck in traffic by UM, Chris texted -- Fox's with him and his Dad? I had turned him down the past 2 times and love Chris and Mike. Plus, Chris is about to become a Dad, and so his nights of carefree cocktail hours may be about to become abridged.

So I had Wifey drop me off, and I ordered a Diet Coke. Chris and Mike came in. I compromised with myself -- a couple of weak house vodkas and grapefruit juices -- barely drinking at all. Plus some great wings.

We talked of times past, and the idiot Trump, convicted. Mike is a staunch GOP-er and can't stand the guy. Chris is more middle of the road and can't stand the guy. What a mess our country is in politically.

But it was a great night, and Mike dropped me off -- barely buzzed.

So finally, tonight I can teetotal! In fact, as I sit, after 5 pm, I am indeed drinking an herbal tea. 

My temperance won't be long term. Tomorrow night we're meeting Barry, Donna, and my nephews of another mother at Motek in the Gables to celebrate their anniversary and Donna's birthday. I can't let my men down! We'll probably Uber, lest Wifey have to drive us home at night. With parking in the Gables expensive, anyway, Uber is terrific.

And then I can rest my liver for awhile -- unless circumstance pulls me right back in!

No comments: