Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Just A Song Before I Go

 So later this afternoon I'll summon my car and driver and Wifey and I will be off to MIA. I really dig Uber -- each time I use the App I imagine I'm Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island -- a fabulously wealthy fellow with his chauffer at my call -- what a brave new world we live in.

I spoke to our Boston friend yesterday, and her partner is still with us, albeit in rough shape. It appears he may make it, but with, likely, a sad future of wheelchairs, feeding tubes, and probably a nursing home. But there's hope, I guess.

Meanwhile, I winged to Wifey about trip preparation at this stage of life versus before. As a young man, other than clothes I took deodorant, and maybe a comb. Now there are meds, and supplements to parcel out and pack, for prostate, cholesterol, high eye pressure, and of course the vital fiber capsules. It's like Ricky Gervais told Stephen Colbert on an interview when he was asked how he had been since last meeting: closer to death and a bit more sick.

But not today! We have an Iberia wide body to catch to fly us to Madrid, a few hours in that supposedly very nice airport, and then a narrow body to Lyon. Kenny and Joelle left last night, and should be there when we arrive -- the Intercontinental Lyon, with some French name, too -- looks lovely. It's an Amex platinum property, so it can't be too shabby, and we get free breakfast for each of the three mornings we're there.

Joelle found us a city museum pass -- it's in my carry on -- old school cardboard cards, which I like. As Kenny noted last week during our pre trip dinner, when you have those, you might well pop into a museum you'd normally miss -- and sometimes those turn out to be the best. Wifey, the film buff, is excited about the movie museum in Lyon -- it's the city where the Lumiere brothers essentially invented modern cinema.

A friend asked me what I looked more forward to , and the answer is the unexpected. When I was in Paris with the Ds, probably 13 or 14 years ago, my favorite moment was a simple one: sitting in the Tulieres in an afternoon with a coffee, watching children run around, while the Ds were shopping. I saw for myself the light of the city, and why it must have inspired the legions of artists. I draw like I have brain damage, but appreciate art, and sitting there that afternoon, with the laughter of French kids, in that amazing orange/yellow light, is a memory I cherish.

But I AM thankful for Wifey's prodding that we take the trip. I love where I live so, and it's easy to allow that happy inertia to set in. But Wifey, ever mindful of what life may bring that will rob us of the ability to go, is the reason for trips other than short ones. And now that I'm about to go -- I am grateful for that.

Our friend Joelle has been to France many time, and is still TRES excited about the trip. It's her favorite place, and the one she chose to celebrate her coming 60th birthday. That's also a major positive -- no one wants to go anywhere with an Eeyore, unless, I guess, it's to Scandanavia in the Winter. But this is Central to Southern France in the Fall.

And Kenny and I share a sense of how blessed we are, though he tends more to the atheistic than I do. We both come from less than rich homes -- and always smile when we find ourselves in a luxury hotel or sharing a meal that would NEVER have been ordered in our youth.

I already have a theme for us -- from Levittown to Lyon. We'll see if I remember it after all of the adult beverages.

So I fed the dogs for the last time in a few weeks. I'll take the enormous puppy on her am constitutional this fine Miami day -- to get out some of her still puppy-like energy. Her Mom, D2 is due back from NYC around the time we leave for Madrid -- and then she and Jonathan are off to LA tomorrow for a wedding.

Yesterday was D1's man Joey's 35th birthday, and he had the look of a young man likewise blessed -- especially with 2 sons who are so precious it's absurd. D1 has a party planned for him -- we sent him greetings.

Hopefully our wonderful extended family, mostly from South America, is all together for a T Day after we return -- Big Man, and Les the Caterer, willing.

So I listened to the great, short CSN song already, and posted it on FB (tm). Apparently Graham Nash wrote it in record time while waiting to leave for the airport in Hawaii, where he lived with his family, before embarking on a concert tour. It captures the sense of leaving on a trip so well -- some excitement, but also a bit of melancholy.

Wow. How French!!!!!

No comments: