Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Idiot Driver Before Kol Nidre

 So a few months back, someone dented Wifey's SUV and cracked a rear tail light. I took the vehicle over to Marcel's Bumper to Bumper, who fixed my sedan after I stupidly crashed into a nice woman's Hyundai at LOL. They gave me an estimate, and since Wifey never complained about the dent, promptly forgot to get the thing fixed.

Last night, we hosted the 'hood HOA meeting, and soon to depart Beautification Chair Ellyn told me that some tree limbs had come down during the brush pass of Ian, and I needed to have them cleaned up. So after my am workout and a stop to get Wifey's bike fixed, I pulled over on the grass swale behind our house to have a look. I saw a wooden pole a good 20 feet from the stone wall, and decided to drive through there and park. Then I heard a loud crash -- strange -- I knew I had plenty of clearance.

I got out and realized what I did -- I grazed the unseen steel guy wire holding up the pole, and essentially decapitated the passenger side mirror. It lay pathetically on the door side, hanging by the wire. I felt quite stupid.

So I drove over to B2B, and the lovely co-owner called the Lexus place about inventory. They indeed had the mirror in stock -- and it cost $750 since it's packed with electronics. Oh well. B2B can do the work the week of 10/17, and since the mirror is being replaced, the tech snipped off the old mirror, covered the opening with electrical tape, and sent me on my way. Dumb ass, am I.

Still, I recalled the sage words of Norman's Dad Max, who turns 95 today: "A problem that can be fixed with money is not a real problem." He is 100% correct.

I came home and ate and napped, and now await the service of Kol Nidre, the beginning of Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year. I gave up in person attendance at shul years ago -- I fidgeted too much, and had my mind wander, but I always participate online.

Tonight it'll either be Beth David or an old school congregation in West Miami -- Beth Tov/Ahavat Shalom. The former is Norman's family place, and the latter where Wifey's friend Linda and her sister Karen grew up. Both have Zoom services -- I plan to hear the great, spooky music of Kol Nidre -- comedian Lewis Black noted it could be a score to a Hitchcock movie. And tomorrow I'll look in on services for the actual YK day.

We have unorthodox (Ha!) break fast plans: Wifey and I are meeting Paul and Patricia after sundown at a Grove steakhouse. Typically it's bagels and lox, but we're mavericks. I guess after fasting, I'll go easy on the martinis -- though Wifey CAN drive home.

So I begin the period of taking stock, and seeking forgiveness and redemption. I thank the Big Man for all of his manifold blessings, and ask for another year of good health and meaning for my family, dear friends, and myself.

May it be so.

No comments: