Friday, October 7, 2022

Friday Already?

 So the truncated week seemed to go even faster than usual, and the weeks truly fly by as I'm in the "beginning of old age" as a wise demographer described turning 60.

I proudly fasted the entire YK on Wednesday. I start out attempting it each year, and sometimes abandon the effort around 2 pm. Once I get to 3 pm -- it's in the fasting bag.

Wifey and I met Paul and Patricia at a steakhouse in the Grove called Key Club, after D2 had dropped off the enormous puppy Betsy. She's bunking here until Tuesday, as her parents are visiting Mexico -- first Mexico City, and then Guadelajara. 

The food indeed tasted especially delicious -- we shared a huge steak, some salmon, and ribs with "Jah Mama" sauce, which I guess passes political correctness muster since a Jamaican owns the company. Afterwards, we strolled Main Highway, which has at least 5 new restaurants that opened in the past year. It was a Wednesday, and the street was buzzing. The Grove is indeed "back," as predicted when the big shopping center reopened after a long reconstruction.

Yesterday I had a great workout, and then fetched Wifey's refurbished bicycle, though she's still a bit afraid of getting on again on account of her balance issues. I told her it's just like riding a bicycle -- she'll be fine.

Also yesterday, as I was assessing the tree limbs we had to have removed from behind our stone wall, a fellow drove up in a pickup, with a gold grille (his teeth, not the truck). He offered to do the job right away. I took his card and had Wifey contact our usual lawn guy, who didn't respond, so I called Demetrius. Sure enough, he came back with another fellow and a chain saw, and made two trips to the transfer station. Mission accomplished! So now, total Ian damage cost was $850 -- all for debris removal. Hey -- I'm so thrilled the damn thing spared us a direct hit I don't complain at all.

Tonight I'll have my usual Zooms, first Eric and Dana's shabbat, and then my cocktails. And then tomorrow, in a black swan event, Wifey is coming with me to the Canes tailgate/game! The weather has turned less oppressively hot, and the kickoff is at 4 pm, so she's in. It'll be nice to have a date for the drive to Joe Robbie.

Sunday we have a date with the adorable toddler -- Wifey and I will take him to the Children's Museum in the am. We took him to Frost Science, but this will be a first -- and he loves it there. We'll hang with the now 3 month old fellow, too, but he's less of a conversationalist.

Next week I get the fun of old guy stuff -- seeing a doc about increased pressure in the eye where I had laser correction of a torn retina. I may have early glaucoma. Eh -- what are ya gonna do? Yesterday I stopped by Jeff and Lili's after my workout -- Jeff's sister Robin was in from Chicago. I met Robin the night she was going to her high school prom -- she is now looking closely at 60, too. The four of us compared various doctor stories, too.

I recalled a NYE, probably '85-'86, where Jeff, Robin, and I ended up at some very strange law school classmates' apartment. The discussions that night had nothing to do about doctors...

Also next week, I give a deposition in the fee dispute case. I promised my lawyer I would keep my sarcasm and snark to a minimum, and only answer the questions, but I think it likely that at some point I will ask my interrogator why she is so pesada? If she doesn't understand, I'll ask why she is farbissiner. She definitely won't understand that, either.

But as the Beasty Boys might have sung, sometimes you gotta fight, for your right, to money...

Ah -- shabbos approaches...

No comments: