Saturday, November 27, 2021

It Was 33 Years Ago Today

 So today D1 turns 33. Wow -- that was fast. I joke that I was a child groom, which is the only explanation for a young boy like me having a daughter that age. Ha -- I'm, as David Sedaris said, old -- the young part of old, but still old.

Wifey's water broke early in the am in our first house on SW 125 Terrace. We loved it there -- it looked like a Coconut Grove house in the far more affordable part of working class Kendall. We had a 90 lb Lab , Midnight, and an adorable Cocker Spaniel named Alfred. And now a human sister was on the way.

I drove Wifey to South Miami Hospital, and figured she'd give birth within a few hours. Nope. Dr. Strassberg, the laconic Wisconsin Jewish guy, was there, and Wifey didn't progress, despite a lot of labor pain. He and I watched Dolphins/Jets at 1 pm, one of those great shootouts between Dan Marino and Ken O'Brien. The Dolphins lost, which thankfully was the only negative thing that day.

We started watching the 4 pm game -- probably the Chargers -- and then the baby monitor showed some fetal distress. As a PI lawyer who knew the many bad things that can happen if you don't act, I told Dr. S "Just for the record, we are NOT anti- C Section people." An hour later, he called in Debbie Kenward, Wifey's main doc, and the two performed what I called the baby-ectomy.

It was around 530 or so and I fell in love with the dainty, wide eyed baby girl. Wifey did, too, though the following days were a pain filled, tough recovery. She was in labor all day and THEN had the Section. Fortunately the planned section for D2 was a far easier recovery.

But D1 was blissfully unaware. My inlaws met her, and fell in love, too. My Mom in Delray, who didn't drive on highways, was so thrilled. She called her sister Lorraine, my favorite aunt, to share the news, and was met with "Well don't expect Abe and I to drive you to Miami to see the baby!" That was the beginning of extended family rifts that lasted until all the aunts and uncles passed away. But Mom's friend drove her, and she met D1 as well.

I brought a blanket home from the hospital bassinet, to let the dogs sniff their new sibling. When they met her a few days later, there were loving licks -- starting, I am sure, a life long love of dogs for D1 which continues today.

Several days later, I loaded D1 and Wifey into our Mazda 626 and drove them home.

And then life happened -- more than three decades' worth, sometimes unfair, sometimes sad, but often exquisite.

D1 is an amazingly accomplished young woman -- a leader in her field, and founder of a company which improves the health and well being of clients from major league baseball players to folks at homeless shelters. She has an adoring, Bogota born husband, and many, many dear friends.

Today she is headed over for a baby shower for Nicole, a friend since Middle School, being hosted by her Mom a few blocks away.

And Wifey and I will watch D1's greatest accomplishment -- her about to turn 2 year old, absurdly adorable son.

And D1 knows well you have this big bundle of love, blink a few times, and then you're looking back on the decades, too.

So happy birthday, D1. You are so loved. You have been one of the two greatest gifts of my life, by far. The other one turns 30 in February. Oy.

No comments: