Monday, November 8, 2021

As If A Curtain Had Lifted

 So we're solidly into the great weather time of the year -- actually slept without AC on for the past 2 nights.

D2 and Jonathan left for NYC Thursday -- brought to MIA by Dadber. It's funny -- I absolutely will NOT drop off or fetch folks at the airport -- except the Ds and their men, and Wifey. They had a great time, with Jonathan's two sisters and a bro in law, and close friends from UF and Jonathan's job here in Miami -- decamped to the Big Apple for a few days.

Friday night I had my Zoom cocktails, after Eric and Dana's Zoom shabbat, where the participants showed off their latest challahs. Alas, Wifey ain't no challah back girl, and I have severe challah envy, but a few cocktails eased the angst.

Saturday D1 came over with the beautiful grandson, to spend some time with Wifey. The Little Man was out of school on account of some HFM (hand, foot, mouth) disease that tore through his pre school. Thankfully he now has antibodies against the coxsackievirus. 

As we were playing, Norman came over, with a great gift: a miniature version of an old No Parking sign from the Orange Bowl streets. I shall place it proudly next to my other Canes memorabilia. Norman got the little man to high 5 him a few times, and then we were off to Joe Robbie.

But wait. As we drove north on the Palmetto, the sky was gray. Rain was falling. This wasn't in the forecast. But then, as if in a movie, as we pulled into the lot, the rain stopped. A delicious cool breeze blew. The skies turned blue. It would be an exceptional tailgate.

My nephew of another mister Josh prepared great breakfast food. I had a dozen bagels. Paul came with his lovely wife, son, and two grandkids -- and he brought delicious whitefish salad from Mo's. I had mixed a gallon of absolute and tonic, with bitters -- we tore through it. Barry's long time colleague Debbie, a 38 year career nurse at the PICU, brought some kind of moonshine her son distilled. There were jello shots.

We ate and drank well, and I violated my own rule of tailgating, which is to cut off the drinks when I go inside the stadium. Somehow, it seemed like a good idea to order MORE vodka and tonics (young Josh is a great influence on me), and the buzz continued -- thankfully Norman adhered to the rule, and was well able to drive home.

Sunday the weather was also here, as Jimmy Buffet sang, and I watched the Fins win with all the doors open. After the game, Dadber rode again -- a very smooth "pick" at MIA, where I surprised D2 by having her enormous dog in the SUV with me. She was very happy to see her.

The young-uns and Wifey and I watched "Succession" together, but were too tired to stay up for "Curb." Hopefully we'll watch that later this week.

And the weather remains amazingly beautiful -- my constitutional this am was pushed along by the sweetest of breezes.

The plague seems in solid retreat -- at least in South Florida. And it's a fine thing.

So curtains fall on our lives, and they lift, if we're lucky. And then, like Johnny Nash sang -- we can see clearly now. I hope it continues.

No comments: